Novice diver plunge for Backplate and Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The solution for me was to cut two new slots in the STA so I can mount the tank at a proper height.

Clearly something that novice divers would feel comfortable doing.

Methinks he was being facetious.

The solution for me was to cut two new slots in the STA so I can mount the tank at a proper height.

Clearly something that novice divers would feel comfortable doing.

Just for the sake of argument - how does diving skill relate to cutting a slot in a piece of metal?
Well for me, I guess I should have packed for travel some drill bits and a metal punch set to make some in-the-field modifications between dives. . .
:wink:

Woah... cutting slots... it took me hours just to deburr some ss components I made for my sm harness. Do you have access to a milling machine?

Well for me, I guess I should have packed for travel some drill bits and a metal punch set to make some in-the-field modifications between dives. . .
:wink:

It's definitely not what I'm consider a field repair :)

Woah... cutting slots... it took me hours just to deburr some ss components I made for my sm harness. Do you have access to a milling machine?

Just and angle grinder and a cordless drill. drilled two holes 2ish inches apart and cut out the material between them. Smoothed them out with this style sanding wheel - don't recall the grit:

169944_lg.jpg

worked great crammed in the slot at roughly a 45* angle.

Just for the sake of argument - how does diving skill relate to cutting a slot in a piece of metal?

My gut feeling is that people buying their first set of gear after being certified might be reluctant to make modifications. The context of this thread was a novice diver looking to buy a BP/W instead of a jacket as his first purchase of dive gear. The OP used a computer metaphor in which a BP/W is like a linux machine in that it's bare bones and highly customizable and takes a tinkerer to get it just right, where a jacket-style BC is like a macbook in that you plug it in, turn it on, and that's all you'll ever need to do. Great metaphor. Kudos to the novice divers who feel confident enough to cut a slot in their new dive gear.

I can tell you with certainty that both Halcyon and GUE will tell you that no one should be considering cutting slots as the solution to not having the head bang on the first stage....the solution is going to be finding the right person to fit the rig to the diver. For some people like Kev, maybe this would take a Bob Sherwood or similar skilled GUE instructor that can see strange body proportions, and instantly figure out the fitting solution.....Ultimately, this will provide the perfect custom fit, whether for Kevin or anyone else.

While those of us who have had the pleasure of getting a perfect fitting from a GUE instructor do not find any problem as Kev has, another thing for Kev to be aware of, is that in a doubles configuration, the 1st stages are well away to the right and left of the head, and even someone with a neck and head like a turtle, will be able to have their head back like a periscope, and not have any head bump :)

I can tell you with certainty that both Halcyon and GUE will tell you that no one should be considering cutting slots as the solution to not having the head bang on the first stage....the solution is going to be finding the right person to fit the rig to the diver. For some people like Kev, maybe this would take a Bob Sherwood or similar skilled GUE instructor that can see strange body proportions, and instantly figure out the fitting solution.....Ultimately, this will provide the perfect custom fit, whether for Kevin or anyone else.

While those of us who have had the pleasure of getting a perfect fitting from a GUE instructor do not find any problem as Kev has, another thing for Kev to be aware of, is that in a doubles configuration, the 1st stages are well away to the right and left of the head, and even someone with a neck and head like a turtle, will be able to have their head back like a periscope, and not have any head bump :)

All of this sounds wonderful except that the OP is not a tech diver.

Back
Top Bottom