Novice diver plunge for Backplate and Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

system Sidemount is WAY MORE COMFORTABLE IN THE WATER THAN ANY BP/W SYSTEM!!!!

What about CCR rebreather for rec usage? Teehee.

To the OP: definitely and of course try on and demo a BP/W system vs a regular BCD back inflation for the novice recreational diving and travel that you will be doing. Go with what gives you the best utility & comfort --and without endless 'fit checks" by GUE Instructors/Dealers around the world.

I'm not a tech diver and wouldn't know GUE from TDI, but I bought the Halcyon Infinity. I throw the tank on with what I felt would be optimal for my trim and went diving and have others checked my trim (not to mention using my own biometric feedbacks to see how I felt in the water column). As far as how tight the harness is...well, I just pull on the waist belt until it's snugged up to my preference and went diving.

Before that it was the Dive Rite Transplate and tank fitment was the same. The difference was that I pulled the shoulder straps to snug up the harness instead of the waist belt.

No tank head banging, no trim issues as far as I can tell.

I think that some of us take this stuff a wee bit too serious. After a certain number of dives, if you don't know how to adjust your BC to your preference and have to consult "instructors" or "experts"...well...

What about CCR rebreather for rec usage? Teehee.

I'm not a tech diver and wouldn't know GUE from TDI, but I bought the Halcyon Infinity. I throw the tank on with what I felt would be optimal for my trim and went diving and have others checked my trim (not to mention using my own biometric feedbacks to see how I felt in the water column). As far as how tight the harness is...well, I just pull on the waist belt until it's snugged up to my preference and went diving.

Before that it was the Dive Rite Transplate and tank fitment was the same. The difference was that I pulled the shoulder straps to snug up the harness instead of the waist belt.

No tank head banging, no trim issues as far as I can tell.

I think that some of us take this stuff a wee bit too serious. After a certain number of dives, if you don't know how to adjust your BC to your preference and have to consult "instructors" or "experts"...well...
No dude . . .you gonna claim to tell me what you think my reality is for the past month diving between BP/W and Sidemount as well???

Point is again, there is greater neck and spine extension to tilt your head back to look-up in a sidemount kit, or even a regular back-inflation BCD like an Aqua Lung Balance, from a horizontal prone trim position, for recreational diving --more flexibilty and comfort than a rigid Halcyon BP/W single tank system. To get a similar fit to a conventional BCD without "head banging" your skull back on the first stage on a Halcyon BP/W system, I would have to loosen the shoulder & waist straps to lower the backplate bottom edge to around the crack of my anus, resulting in a sloppy loose "low-rider/gangsta style fit". (The single-tank-adapter for the BP/W fixes the tank position of an AL80 too high up on the back).

Again to the OP, try on a BP/W vs a conventional BCD back-inflation type (or even try the radical solution like UTD Z-system Sidemount): see for yourself objectively what gives you the best comfort, utility, ease of d'oning & d'offing, and less fit iterations/adjustments -- for a typical recreational dive. See which system allows you to fully look up extending your neck & back without hitting the back of your head on the regulator's 1st stage behind you.

Last edited:
No dude . . .you gonna claim to tell me what you think my reality is for the past month diving between BP/W and Sidemount as well???

Nope. You know how your body feels the best.

Point is again, there is greater neck and spine extension to tilt your head back to look-up in a sidemount kit, or even a regular back-inflation BCD like an Aqua Lung Balance, from a horizontal prone trim position, for recreational diving --more flexibilty and comfort than a rigid Halcyon BP/W single tank system.

That may be true, but I prefer the way the hard plate holds the tank tightly to my body than degree of head tilt. Besides, if I really want to look up that much, I'd flip on my back or go vertical.

To get a similar fit to a conventional BCD without "head banging" your skull back on the first stage on a Halcyon BP/W system, I would have to loosen the shoulder & waist straps to lower the backplate bottom edge to around the crack of my anus, resulting in a sloppy loose "low-rider/gangsta style fit". (The single-tank-adapter for the BP/W fixes the tank position of an AL80 too high up on the back).

And that's why I use the STA.

Again to the OP, try on a BP/W vs a conventional BCD back-inflation type (or even try the radical solution like UTD Z-system Sidemount): see for yourself objectively what gives you the best comfort, utility, ease of d'oning & d'offing, and less fit iterations/adjustments -- for a typical recreational dive. See which system allows you to fully look up extending your neck & back without hitting the back of your head on the regulator's 1st stage behind you.

I totally concur. Try many and buy one.

and speaking of crothch straps. its make it a wide one for me. that little 1 incher really BITESand can let youknow its there.

Never been bit by mine but I hope you have a cloverleaf for that 2 incher especially if diving dry.

Pete

It comes down to the fact that there are a lot of ways to carry a tank. Each has its benefits and disadvantages. Each of us is going to gravitate to the setup that we feel comfortable in, although it may take several iterations to get there.

I have a lot of reasons why I prefer a backplate and simple harness to a traditional BC. And yes, I have been known to set my gear up so that I bang my head into the regulator -- but if I position the tank properly, I don't. I will agree that a properly setup double tank sidemount rig is the most comfortable and stable diving configuration I've experienced. But I don't like single tank sidemount at all, because you are constantly off balance. I've tried it, and it doesn't do it for me. That doesn't mean Kevrumbo (and others I know) don't enjoy it; it means I found the disadvantages outweighed any advantage for simple, single-tank diving. (Still mulling it over for doubles, though!)

It comes down to the fact that there are a lot of ways to carry a tank. Each has its benefits and disadvantages. Each of us is going to gravitate to the setup that we feel comfortable in, although it may take several iterations to get there.

I have a lot of reasons why I prefer a backplate and simple harness to a traditional BC. And yes, I have been known to set my gear up so that I bang my head into the regulator -- but if I position the tank properly, I don't. I will agree that a properly setup double tank sidemount rig is the most comfortable and stable diving configuration I've experienced. But I don't like single tank sidemount at all, because you are constantly off balance. I've tried it, and it doesn't do it for me. That doesn't mean Kevrumbo (and others I know) don't enjoy it; it means I found the disadvantages outweighed any advantage for simple, single-tank diving. (Still mulling it over for doubles, though!)
Come to the darker side of the dark side! our cookies have chocolate chips! lol

i am one who loves single tank side mount, as long as it is AL tanks. Come back to CC and we will do Jug Hole. You can use one of my SM rigs for as long as you want.

After further review --the problem with the Halcyon single-tank-adapter on BP/W is that the cam band slots are spaced too far apart (about at the level of the Backplate's two thru-holes in which the mounting bolts pass through), thereby placing the AL80 tank too high on my back/shoulders with the 1st stage hitting the back of my head. The solution is to discard the single-tank-adapter and simply use the cam bands threaded through slots already cut into the backplate, giving more adjustment room to place the tank & valve lower on the back. The tank will be a little more loose than with the single-tank-adapter, but I should have more room to look up/tilt head back now without always banging the back of my head.

After further review --the problem with the Halcyon single-tank-adapter on BP/W is that the cam band slots are spaced too far apart (about at the level of the Backplate's two thru-holes in which the mounting bolts pass through), thereby placing the AL80 tank too high on my back/shoulders with the 1st stage hitting the back of my head. The solution is to discard the single-tank-adapter and simply use the cam bands threaded through slots already cut into the backplate, giving more adjustment room to place the tank & valve lower on the back. The tank will be a little more loose than with the single-tank-adapter, but I should have more room to look up/tilt head back now without always banging the back of my head.

With the exception of the pioneer wing, every other wing from H has no cam band slots anymore, you are forced to use an sta. There are many other wings that have the ability for multiple adjustments and points of attachment like Oxycheq, Diverite, Scubapro, OMS, etc,etc.

---------- Post Merged at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Come to the darker side of the dark side! our cookies have chocolate chips! lol

i am one who loves single tank side mount, as long as it is AL tanks. Come back to CC and we will do Jug Hole. You can use one of my SM rigs for as long as you want.

I would say sm is a chocolate cookie with chips and fudge lol.

Unfortunately, I too agree with TSandM in that singles sm takes a bit of getting use to. During the initial part of the dive, the al tank is overweighted and shifts my left side. At the end of the dive the bottom part of the tank pop up which means either I clip it under me or I put weights on the butt.

The solution for me was to cut two new slots in the STA so I can mount the tank at a proper height.

Back
Top Bottom