NSS-CDS Full Cave: The Live-Blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rddvet I am listening (reading) and learning. You are correct, I made an inaccurate assumption in assuming some to me such sounding things must have been coming from instructor/s and did not check actual credentials.

.5-.7 are totally normal sac rates.

That is what the Chairman told me, so I'm not too worried about it. Just that it gives me an idea if the LP85s that I've been looking at are a good investment. But since I will be renting tanks at first, it will be something I will probably find out first hand as well.

As a 5’5” diver, I am much more comfortable with LP104s/130s than LP95s. LP95s can really be head heavy for shorter divers. I’m comfortable with them now, but when I first started diving doubles I really struggled with the LP95s. I actually got better penetration with the 85s than LP95s bc I wasn’t fighting the tanks. Just something to be aware of!

Good to know. I have one LP104, so it wouldn't be hard to pair it up.

@Manatee Diver, I knew I’d commented in a couple of threads about tanks / tank size, so I did a quick search and found a few threads where multiple tank sizes were discussed. I decided to go ahead and post the links I found hoping you, @dewdropsonrosa and/or other readers would find some value in one or more of the linked threads:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/lp-95-or-no.512696/

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/purchasing-doubles-and-need-some-advice-from-dirers.383108/

GUE Drysuit Diver class report (Doug Mudry March 2011)

Please note, the links are for reference, Although some of the threads linked above are from the DIR forum, most of the tank dize discussion is pretty relevant across-the-board.

That is what the Chairman told me, so I'm not too worried about it. Just that it gives me an idea if the LP85s that I've been looking at are a good investment. But since I will be renting tanks at first, it will be something I will probably find out first hand as well.

Good to know. I have one LP104, so it wouldn't be hard to pair it up.

That’s fair!
And I do see that you do take critique well even so you seem to be asking not to be critiqued.
:D
Now, I still need to know if I am the one you speak of that is not taking critique well and where, for if so, I may choose to try to change that...

Nope you are good to go and I have no issue at all being critiqued.

You don't. You fail them and they pass to the level they're able to complete, then go off and start getting comfortable enough to actually dive further. In the case of this thread, is taking a student who just learned how to dive bm during your class and start mixing up tanks on them to get them further? Sounds like extra task loading and stress for an already stressed student. Reading her posts, it's obvious she's not comfortable in the overhead environment, so why push it to go even further. Work on the skills you can and then either set them free to learn, or even better, mentor them. I know my best instructors were ones that would take time to dive and mentor their students rather than pushing them through the class.

It's not about skills only, it's about being comfortable enough in the OH to think clearly and make smart decisions when they need to be made. Until someone is somewhat comfortable in the environment, they can't be relied on to actually respond when needed.

I'm not preaching to you Pete, since I'm sure you're knowledge of all of this is far greater than mine. There seems to be a trend of red flags in these posts which make me think adding more and more problems isn't the smartest idea. I've always heard great things about Reggie, so I'm surprised by a little bit of the stuff I've read. But it's also the student's side of the class which may look completely different from an instructor's view.

I didn’t think you were preaching to me. I know you usually approach these threads with wisdom and common sense. I haven’t judged you any differently this time.

I do know Reggie. I have seen him teach a lot of classes. I have co-taught with him in the past several years ago. He is a very thorough instructor from my experience. I like him a lot. I would say that if my wife or daughters were taking cave class, I would NOT recommend them to Reggie. If they passed the class, i’d be certain they would be top notch cave divers, but from my experience, they might not be able to deal with his manner of critique. :) He’s VERY blunt. I have seen quite the expletive being yelled before. :)

But, I also know students. I’ve been in situations where a student with lots of money booked lots of time for a zero to hero class with nearly no experience. I explain to them their likely chances of passing. They insist on taking the class. I take the class and after a day or two, it’s completely obvious that they can’t pass. I explain to them that it’s pretty unlikely to get a card. It would be better if they go home to practice time in doubles, or time frog kicking, or time getting buoyancy mastered, rather than me teach them things at my premium that they can learn at home. EVERY SINGLE TIME, they say, “Nah, I’m here, let’s go ahead and proceed and burn up the days I’ve paid for”. At the end of 10 or 12 days, they’re no farther along than where we started, but rather than coming back in a few months and me owe them for the days they have paid for and not used, they end up owing more money to me or another instructor to do the class over again.

One thing I believe is that if she gets a card from Reggie, she’s earned it.

Interim update: the thread will be over for the next few months. I have an ear infection that precludes any further diving until healed.

Will schedule additional training time in the late spring.

Interim update: the thread will be over for the next few months. I have an ear infection that precludes any further diving until healed.

Will schedule additional training time in the next few months.

Ouch! That's a bummer. Those long training days can be hell on your ears anyway, between in-water time and a lots of equalizing. I hope it heals quickly and you can get back in the water quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom