nubie to scubaboard...vision question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

68raggtop

Contributor
Reaction score
First of all, Hi all :yelclap:
I've joined the age of bifocals in the last couple of years and the last few dives have been, well, challenging. i have gotten so dependent on my bifocals for reading that it has gotten to hard to read the gauges when I dive. :banghead:
I know they make prescription masks, but i thought I would see if anyone has any other suggestions. My wife says I should just get longer arms. LOL
Thanks,
Dave

68raggtop:
First of all, Hi all :yelclap:
I've joined the age of bifocals in the last couple of years and the last few dives have been, well, challenging. i have gotten so dependent on my bifocals for reading that it has gotten to hard to read the gauges when I dive. :banghead:
I know they make prescription masks, but i thought I would see if anyone has any other suggestions. My wife says I should just get longer arms. LOL
Thanks,
Dave

Yeah.. been there, done that... got the bifocal mask. That solved all my problems. :wink:

I understand that there are bi-focal contacts available that come in two configurations: 1) one eye is close up, one eye is distance (2) actual bifocal lenses.

Both Pearce & myself use the bifocal prescription lenses in our masks. It really solves the problem in a fairly economical way.

JMHO,

I used the Dive Optix lenses until I got a Mosquito computer. I was skeptical that I would be able to see it and thought, "What in the heck was my hubby thinking when he ordered me one of those little things." I wore my Optix lense on one dive and took it off after that.

The lense worked well while I used it with my old computer. I only used one in the left eye and closed the right eye when I needed to read the guages. I liked that better. They are not too expensive. You might consider giving them a try. I am glad I have my mosquito now though.

I use the Dive Optix and they work great. If they survive the abuse I give them they will survive anything.

They are also a lot cheaper than the RX lenses.

Gary D.

I don't know about the availabilty of masks in the US, but here in the UK prescription masks generally fall into two catagories; the insert mask and the lens mask.

In the former, a bifocal prescription insert is made, which can be fitted into most ordinary masks. I've used these, but am never especially impressed by them. They scratch easily, are separate from the mask (and thus easier to loose), and don't defog very efficiencty.

In the latter, the lenses of the mask themselves are prescription. I use this style currently, and have found them to be excellent, for the inverse of the reasons given above.

As to price, I really can't help you. Here in dear old Blighty, the latter are the more expensive, generally retailing at around £100 or more.

However, you may find this site useful, if only to get an idea as to what is out there.

On a final note, and one regarding price, I too faced the same concern, but then, what's the point of shelling out for equipment and boat hire and putting myself through a dive if I can't see well enough to enjoy it?

Do you need bifocals or just readers?

If you need bifocals to correct for near and far vision then I would suggest that you send your favorite mask to the fine folks at http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

If you just need readers, then...

1. Diveoptx stick-ons (That's what I use...they're pretty good...sorta expensive...about $30...but you can change them as your need increases...and your need WILL increase over time.)

2. Send your favorite mask to http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

3. Try out a SeaVision Mask...I'm pretty sure that they use Tusa masks frames but insert their own lenses. They have a couple of different styles to choose from and they a gauge reader lense for each. I tried one...foolishly ordered it from their site without trying one on first...It didn't work out. But lots of folks swear by 'em.

Thanks for all the ideas. I really only need the reading part, at this point anyways. I'm a little worried that my eyes are going to change yet so I think the gauge reader or diveoptix may be the way to go for now. Thanks for the insight on ordering the mask with out trying it on Stephen, I was leaning in that direction. I think I will call some more dive shops as I have yet to find one that stocks them.Thanks again all.

68raggtop:
Thanks for all the ideas. I really only need the reading part, at this point anyways. I'm a little worried that my eyes are going to change yet so I think the gauge reader or diveoptix may be the way to go for now. Thanks for the insight on ordering the mask with out trying it on Stephen, I was leaning in that direction. I think I will call some more dive shops as I have yet to find one that stocks them.Thanks again all.

I like your wheels...

Here's one I used to have...

I checked your Profile, but no age - or much else? I know too many men over 50 who wear K-Mart readers when they really need bifocals. You do get your eyes examined every year or two, I hope. :corkysm75

I wear flat-top bifocal masks, a red lens for clear dayling, a yellow lens for night or murky, the other one in my BC pocket as a spare.

I want to see the sites well, and my guages. :shades:

I wear bifocal masks. One is a Sea Vision with prescription lenses. the other is a Scuba Pro with glued in lenses. I can see equally well with either mask and both masks fit quite well. The problem I have is that the Scuba Pro mask has a clear skirt. When I have students I spend quite a bit of time on the surface and the clear skirt lets the sun come in from the top. The sun going through the lenses from the top making them act like a magnifying glass. I get a really, really nasty sunburn just below my eys in a matter of minutes. If I ever get another pair of glued on lenses you can bet the mask will have a black skirt!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom