Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Nudibranch Lovers,

I was wondering which websites you all use for reliable nudibranch identification?

I'm also curious about the following countries:

Are you from New Zealand or have done diving there? Which were the top nudibranchs you have spotted?
Are you from Australia or have done diving there? Which were the top nudibranchs you have spotted?
Are you from South Africa or have done diving there? Which were the top nudibranchs you have spotted?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Nudibranch Lovers,

I was wondering which websites you all use for reliable nudibranch identification?

Thanks in advance!

Nudipixel is good but not updated in some time.

I have lots of books though :D

Some pics from yesterday's dives;

Dematobranchus sp.

UAE_7067MCsig_zpshevozeas.jpg

Phidiana indica

UAE_7053MCsig_zpshlvdqa3o.jpg

Risbecia pulchella

UAE_7028MCsig_zpsscb4ivql.jpg

Last edited:
Phidiana indicus
Searcaigh, It was Phidiana indicA,
now Caloria ... but still IndicA. :wink:

(sorry)

It seems the works and new book from Behrens/Gosliner/Valdes have changed a lot in nudibranch naming and taxonomy.
Looks like the new standard now... When I look at my old Debelius it seems completely outdated, even me can find mismatches. :shocked2:

A few from the Philippines (Dumaguete/Dauin). Lots more to come - these are a few of the "first time for me" sightings.

Cuthona yamasui
PHL_151024_6278.jpg

Phyllidiopsis annae (I think)
PHL_151025_6574.jpg

Thurdilla gracilis (I think)
PHL_151029_8132.jpg

Dermatobranchus albus (I think)
PHL_151029_8232.jpg

Thecacera sp. (first of a series I'll post later on nudibranchs "not fighting" from this trip)
PHL_151102_8905.jpg

Not many in the Maldives, but here's one I came across on a recent trip...hard to shoot macro in current, I was using a reef hook (around a rock) and my poker between some other rocks to shoot this guy. Felt like I was doing Yoga :)

Nikon D810, 105VR two Inon z-240
22567074111_8725ed4046_b.jpg

It seems the works and new book from Behrens/Gosliner/Valdes have changed a lot in nudibranch naming and taxonomy.
Looks like the new standard now... When I look at my old Debelius it seems completely outdated, even me can find mismatches. :shocked2:

I just noticed this book was available. Is it worth buying?

41EDJV%2B41dL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Any reviews?

Searcaigh, It was Phidiana indicA,
now Caloria ... but still IndicA. :wink:

(sorry)

I will stick with Phidiana for now :wink: but it seems I will have to edit my nudibranch website at some point, it is just finding the time to do so

A few from the Philippines (Dumaguete/Dauin). Lots more to come - these are a few of the "first time for me" sightings.

Cuthona yamasui
View attachment 219533
PHL_151024_6278.jpg

Phyllidiopsis annae
View attachment 219534
PHL_151025_6574.jpg

Thurdilla gracilis
PHL_151029_8132.jpg
View attachment 219535

Dermatobranchus albus
View attachment 219536
PHL_151029_8232.jpg

Thecacera sp. (first of a series I'll post later on nudibranchs "not fighting" from this trip)
PHL_151102_8905.jpg

View attachment 219537

Don't know why, but photos were deleted from original post. Re-added them above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom