Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill van Antwerp made a stage out of reflective plastic. Kevin Lee and I were trying it out. Kevin had better luck with it.
Latest SoCal Dives - Kevin Lee
Beautiful, no.. freaking beautiful photos. wow. Stunning.

There is some controversy here about positioning critters for photography. While it makes great shots, there is the debate of removing said critter from natural habitat and possibly endangering their life. I'm not talking just moving them or the surroundings a wee bit so they crawl the right way, but to actually pick them up to position. Generally it is very much frowned upon here at BHB and people have been known to be shunned as dive buddies if they do such a thing. Me/my position? I don't mind a little nudge here and there but won't move a critter just to shoot them.

I don't actually touch the nudis to get them onto a stage. I sometimes place the stage next to them if they're crawling around and they crawl on to it. Other times I swoosh them off the bottom just like the surge does and catch them with the stage.

We're at God's Pocket Resort in British Columbia. Here's a few to hold you over until I get home.

Gods%20Pocket%201_zpsrbhehfst.jpg

Eubranchus sanjuanensis

Gods%20Pocket%2013_zps12why6f2.jpg

Peltodoris lentiginosa

Gods%20Pocket%2014_zpsqsj8tyyz.jpg

Cuthona concinna

Gods%20Pocket%201_zpsjijqbzbc.jpg

Janolus fuscus

Gods%20Pocket%2015_zpsm7tbqwhy.jpg

Eubranchus rustyus

Wow! Fantastic!

A couple from Monterey at the weekend:
IMG_4742.jpg

MacFarland's Chromodorid.

IMG_4714.jpg

Clown dorid.

And at long last I found some hooded nudibranch:
IMG_4903.jpg

which were mating and/or laying eggs:
IMG_4890.jpg

Taken in strong surge about 10 ft from the bottom. Pretty challenging photography and I guess I wasn't quite up to the task :)

The hooded nudibranch are so unlike any others, at least in California. Does anyone know if there are nudis with similar body plan and feeding style in other parts of the world?

A few recent shots...

Garden%20Spot%208_zpsxalofqh1.jpg

Polycera hedgpethi

Crane%202_zps9hxgktyy.jpg

Felimare porterae

Kevins%20Reef%2068_zpsfrqo2aod.jpg

Okenia rosacea

Kevins%20Reef%2067_zpsrymms4dd.jpg

Polycera tricolor

Kevins%20Reef%2016_zps8ljedi5b.jpg

Polycera atra

Kevins%20Reef%205_zpsxvs19sax.jpg