NW Dive Expo April 24-26 (Tacoma, Washington)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The water was filled from the water main. Probably through the stand-pipe from ground level. There is always sediment and rust that is stirred up and expelled if large amounts of water is flowed (wash down, firefighting, filling a pool). Just cracking and flowing water from a fire hydrant is enough to make the home owners on the water main complain due to the rust colored water that appears in the tap water as well as the toilet bowl and washer. Remember that the water had to be pumped to the exibition level floor. Takes alot of pressure to move that amount of water 60' or so vertically. Not sure of the answer other than fill and filter sooner?

The hydrant used to fill the pool was close to the level of the exhibit hall. (I know because the 6 inch hose had the loading dock blocked on Friday when I arrived to set up)

My guess is they did not let flush the water in the lateral before they started to fill the pool. The water in the lateral from the city main to the hydrant only moves when the hydrant is opened, and that might be only every few years.

The Fire Department is usually far more concerned with water quantity that quality.....

In addition the filtration for the pool was not operating until Saturday morning. They had some plumbing problems. My booth was just across from the pool and filter so I had a front row seat.

Tobin

Well, you gotta figure anybody who signed up for scuba lessons after a "try dive" in that pool on Saturday, won't be surprised by the conditions in Puget Sound when they get there!

Wish I could make the RB experience on the 14th. I've been trying to get to one of these for a couple of years, and my schedule always conflicts with them. So I finally get down to the dive show where they're doing one, and I can't dive. Life is like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom