NW Diving and Dry-Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searaven

Reaction score
Everyone --
I have a great BARE compressed neoprene drysuit that I just entirely hate the feel of, it just feels like I do not fit in it and am too 'pumped-up' (like the michelein man) to be safe in the water.

So I'm considering going back to a wet suit (or a trilaminate drysuit) and have a few questions:

When would you wear a felt dive-skin? Is it meant to get wet under a wet suit or to wear under a dry suit? I have one and if I put it on under my tropic 3mm I 'feel' like I might just be inclined to give it a try up here in the NW (average water temp is around 48 degrees).

Second question is what exactly happens to a trilaminate type dry suit if it gets torn while submerged? I had a friend who had another friend who died in the ocean because he forgot to zip up his suit (yeah I know Darwin award material) but that got me to thinking about safety if you get a rip while under and start taking on water.

I can get a deal on a dacor trlam. which is why I'm asking, any advise is apreiciated!

Thanks

As for the felt diveskin-don't know what thats supposed to be,but sounds like a thin undersuit.

As for the complete flooding of a tri-lam.drysuit,there I can help.
Happend to me last october.My zipper broke during the dive :11:
What happens(beside getting cold:D) is completly nothing.Just end the dive and get the problem fixed.

Why does nothing happen? well water in water is neutral,so you wont sink.As for the buoancy -use your BC-for the suit it self it will float even the tri-lam.

cheers,

Everyone --
When would you wear a felt dive-skin? Is it meant to get wet under a wet suit or to wear under a dry suit?

It's not clear whether you are talking about a rashguard type of skin (I have never seen one made out of felt; they are usually lycra/polyesterish materials) or a drysuit undergarment, but if it's the latter, they are not functional when wet. I have never seen anyone with one made out of felt, but there are varying thicknesses of polyester fleece that people use that might look felt-like.

I would guess you'd have a very short and very cold dive if you try to wear either one under a 3mm wetsuit in 48 degree water.

300bar is right in saying that a flooded drysuit means you will need to use your BC for buoyancy, but it definitely means it's time to end that dive; and be very careful when using your BC to surface with a flooded drysuit.

In your situation I would have a close look at the new Fusion from Whites. Feels like a 3 mil wetsuit in the water - no Michelin man feeling at all.

Have never punctured my suits, but have had leaks. Depending on severity you cut the dive short. No big deal as your BC should give you plenty of lift.

I wouldn't suggest diving the waters in the NW in a 3mm unless it is summer time.. I know our water is usually pretty cold out here in Northern Minnesota and I wear a 7mm.. that keeps me plenty warm... pending on how susceptable you are to getting cold I would say a 7mm is your best bet..
as for a Dry suit.. it is hard to say what would work for you.. you just gotta check'em out.. talk to all the dealers..
personally, I really looked forward to getting my fusion because of all the hype and then it didn't fit me right.. soo you just gotta look around.. and try some out..
I hope I helped..

Searaven, the people who dive wet around here wear at least 7mm suits, and often two layers of 7 mm. I would be surprised if you could find anything you could layer under a 3 mm suit that would keep you comfortable or even safe in PNW waters.

I echo the recommendation to try the Fusion. I believe A2Z Scuba in Puyallup has them in their rental line, so you can try one. It's the closest to the feel of a wet suit that you can get in a dry suit.

What happens when you flood a dry suit depend a lot on the undergarment you are wearing. I had a flood a couple of weeks ago, with a dry glove/wrist seal problem that resulted in water POURING out of my arm when I took my glove off. I knew I had a leak, but I had no idea it was a full flood until the water began sloshing in my foot when I kicked. The undergarment I was using (White's MK3) kept me warm enough to be comfortable, despite being sopping wet.

Going back to the issue with the Bare. I have a Bare compressed neo suit and while there have been times I've felt like a balloon, it typically was a fault of me NOT the suit -- with the exception of my feet which ballooned. I fixed that issue (ballooning boots) with fin keepers.

It may be that the suit is too big -- but it also may be that you just aren't used to diving it and "managing the bubble." The suit, with the proper undergarment, is great in the PNW -- warm and capable of accepting a lot of abuse.

Back
Top Bottom