NW wind Saturday are they diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to schedule some diving for late next week and early the following. I'm sure it'll be all new weather by then, but I'm just curious... what is "bad" vis and conditions in Coz?

That is, everything's relative. My last dives were in Galapagos a couple of months ago and vis was a bit murky 40' w/swells that tossed you around like you're a toy. And I've dived wet off coast of NJ w/10' vis in 50 deg. water. Sooo... I guess when I hear "churned up" or "bad" I feel compelled to ask what that is.

I guess the question is... "When people say 'bad' or 'churned up' in Cozumel, is that still "spectacular" by a northeast US diver's standards?"

Thanks,
Scott
I'm from your general neck of the woods and forget about he Northeast, compared to most places I've been in the Caribbean in the winter a "choppy" day in Cozumel is still pretty reasonable in terms of swells and waves. If you dive the NJ shore or even Dutch Springs you'll find bad viz in Cozumel to be pretty amazing. They're measuring against their usual 100ft+ viz. If there is no norte during your trip then you'll get 80-100ft or better.

Have a great trip!

Give me a choppy day in Cozumel anyday. It is all very reasonable when you think about the 10 foot viz on a great day plus the 50 degree water in the northeast. We dive in Jamestown RI, Brownstone, Cape Ann and Dutch during the summer. Its exciting for me to take off my dry suit hose and dive in almost any condition in Cozumel. The diving is amazing in warm water and great viz. "Bad" is never a word that I would use to describe Cozumel diving even on a churned up rainy day!

I'm arriving in Coz Friday morning. The Weather Channel forecast isn't showing much wind or rain in the 10 day, but what is the feeling for the regulars?
Anyone care to play forecaster?

Well, a front roared through Austin last night (Friday 11/14) with 30-40 mph winds. Many times that means a norte in Cozumel in about 2 days.

The wind and rough waters have arrived to Cozumel. The port is closed today,Sunday, Nov. 16. There is a good chance as we have been told the conditions as it stands will conitnue through tomorrow for sure.

Our scheduled day to leave is Tuesday so we have seen the end of our diving trip. DH and I however have had 5 wonderful days of good vis and hardly any current. Lot's and Lot's of critters too !

Here's to a quick turn around in weather so that all of you here or coming to dive will get the chance. Sue Sue

Sorry to hear about the weather Sue Sue... but at least it's at the end of your trip and still go in 5 good days. Maybe you'll wake up to great conditions tomorrow and get a final day in!

I'm heading down Dec 1st and keeping my fingers crossed. The nortes seem to have started blowing early this year. I've been very luck with my Dec trips over the last 5 yrs. Only lost 2 days in Cozumel to nortes.... our days on the mainland are another story. Norte there and it's several days of bad viz and rough water. Then again, we've got snow and temps in the 40's forecasted this week so even if I do lose a dive day or two I will still be happy to spend 18 days in Mexico.

DH and I are not disappointed at all. We have had 5 days of GREAT diving. Hardly any current, very good visiblity and CRITTERS ! Not only have we had wonderful diving conditions but the opportunity to revisit with our friends of Blue XT Diving. Also, although we have be finished with diving on this trip, for us, there are other interesting options in Cozumel. So, the equation is perfect..

Great ocean conditions + Numerous Critters + Blue XT Sea Divng + Cozumel = Pricless memories

Sue Sue it was great meeting you this week aboard the Shamu. I'm glad you were able to secure the 5 days of good diving before the weather moved in. When I woke up early Sunday to catch my flight I was worried that the weather had would prevent the diving for you and everyone else.

Hopefully see you again sometime back in Cozumel (I already can't wait to get back).

Dan

Hey Dan, It as a pleasure diving with you and Todd. What a great time we had ! Mike and I are so happy that you both got to enjoy Cozumel diving. We are certainly happy to hear you want to return. Yea, the wind is still kicking up, however, the sun is peeping through. We perhaps will make our trek to the East Side today for refreshments :) and the beautiful view. BTW, what was the info I was going to send to you? I know it was something, but you know first hand about my 50 year old memory ??? !! Also, feel free to PM us with any questions. Regardless, maybe someday we will meet up again in Coz. That would be fun ! Until later, Mike and Sue Behm

Since the Shamu boat reunion seems to be here on this thread, I thought I would also say it was great to meet you guys (Sue, Mike, Dan, Todd) this week. If the port is closed, maybe you can still dive the cenotes? We did on Friday and it was just fantastic. Christi sent us over to see Aquanauts Dive Center. The dm, Natalie, did a fantastic job of guiding us through two local cenotes. You should see 100 pound Natalie haul double 80's around like they were feathers.

And, to keep the thread kind of on its original topic, cenotes are something everyone can look into during off days in Coz as long as the ferries are running. Also, Natalie said that rough days in Coz are often calm days in Cancun since the wind is essentially opposite relative to where the land and ocean are (blows from shore to sea.)

Mike E.

DH and I are not disappointed at all. We have had 5 days of GREAT diving. Hardly any current, very good visiblity and CRITTERS ! Not only have we had wonderful diving conditions but the opportunity to revisit with our friends of Blue XT Diving. Also, although we have be finished with diving on this trip, for us, there are other interesting options in Cozumel. So, the equation is perfect..

Great ocean conditions + Numerous Critters + Blue XT Sea Divng + Cozumel = Pricless memories

I'm glad you had a great time Sue!

I hope we get the chance to dive together again in the near future. I just have to wait & see if I'm still employed after the first quarter (when all the layoffs will be completed) before I can plan anymore dive trips. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom