• second 30% of the dive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • last 30% of the dive

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • During ascent/safety.deco stops

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had one (to my primary second stage) blow near the end of a dive about 8 years ago. Loud bang behind my head (outer layer expanded & then popped- left a 6" split in the outer layer) the inner braid held but was leaking fairly rapidly through the braid.

.... I have been diving with her for more that 25 years. ...

finally can you explain IP creep and I do not use rentals.

Seems like it hasn't happened to you in 25 years. Why not just replace all LP hose every x years, say 5?? This should prevent LP hose of exploding

Seems like it hasn't happened to you in 25 years. Why not just replace all LP hose every x years, say 5?? This should prevent LP hose of exploding
Good idea. Note that a lot of french divesr are using separate systems for primary reg and second one. This means one tank, two exits, two first stages with its own regulator. Result. If one blows, you shut down the side of the exit that leaks.

You mean H valve, right? Make sure you know how to diagnose the failure in water, and possibly with huge amount of bubble and noise coming out behind you head. If you shut off the wrong regulator, it is potentially more dangerous.

So what I don't understand is this. If you always dive with your wife, you plan your gas properly, if one of you have hose blow, then go to the other person's octo and ascent. No issues. Are you trying to plan for both of you having blow LP hose on the same dive?

You mean H valve, right? Make sure you know how to diagnose the failure in water, and possibly with huge amount of bubble and noise coming out behind you head. If you shut off the wrong regulator, it is potentially more dangerous.

So what I don't understand is this. If you always dive with your wife, you plan your gas properly, if one of you have hose blow, then go to the other person's octo and ascent. No issues. Are you trying to plan for both of you having blow LP hose on the same dive?

You got it right :blinking:. My "problem" is the following. It will be difficult for most of you guys to understand easily because I do my math in metric :(. One very good teacher in a french speaking forum gives the recommendation to start the accent when your tank pressure equals to 3 times you DTR ( time to surface, including Safety/deco stops ) + a 50 bars reserve on a 15L tank. In this calculation the fact that an OOA may happen is not taken into account. However, a 50 bars reserve could be used for this purpose. So my "theoretical" question is should you use 2 times 3 times the DTR + a smal reserve of 20 bars or the formelly proposed formula. I must add that the two "formulae" results in very similar pressures, EXCEPT in very special conditions. I hope that I have not open a never ending story.:no: PEACE :kiss2:

Hoses don't suddenly and mysteriously fail in the middle of a dive. I've never seen it happen. Hoses fatigue and start to bubble and you change them out. Take care of your equipment, rinse it well and inspect it prior to use and you won't have problems.
I actually did see that once. It was kinda interesting.

Just because the maggot appears on the meat doesn't mean they weren't laid by a fly.
In laymen terms, how much did you see and how much could you have missed, leading up to an LP failure?

Our quantifiers suddenly and mysteriously hold true. If you have an eye for it, you will often be able to catch a hose that you're pretty sure isn't up to snuff. All it takes is an attention to detail.

---------- Post added September 8th, 2014 at 08:11 PM ----------

What explodes in Vegas stays in Vegas. Check out the all you can eat pre-Thanksgiving Turkey Buffet.

.... Back to topic....

It'll be my first DEMA. I hear there's a tradition that revolves around Irish Car Bombs...... :shocked2:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

threads merged...

I could go for carbombs, but the only experience I can add is a couple of hoses were discovered cut during an open water class I was helping with turns out that the small brass tag used to identify rental gear was getting pressed into the hose during storage resulting in some loud noise when pressured up. Ended up loaning out my spare regs that day as parts.

Back
Top Bottom