O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, just because an oring is the same size, and even the same material the durometer, or hardness of the oring is very, very important, generally with harder 90 durometer orings being used in HP prtions of the reg. You don't want to accidentally slip a 75 in there.

Absolutely correct Kevin.

I'd suggest going to your shop and buying what you need unless they want 5 bucks per..

I'd also not recommend the average diver to buy in bulk over the net just to have them as an "O" ring will dry out over time.

Bottom line, just spend the few bucks and get fresh CORRECT ones from your local dealer if you're using them in your breathing system.

Any durometer can be purchased in bulk. As long as you know an exact druo, O-ring at LDS is nothing different with your own source. LDS doesn't manufacture O-ring, but simply buy it as well. It is an absolute personal choice depending on your situation.

Any durometer can be purchased in bulk. As long as you know an exact druo, O-ring at LDS is nothing different with your own source. LDS doesn't manufacture O-ring, but simply buy it as well. It is an absolute personal choice depending on your situation.

Yep, it's pretty funny that someone might think its "safer" buying an o-ring from the LDS that's been sitting in their parts bin for who knows how long, than buying one directly from the manufacturer or distributor that sells thousands every week.

There are very few applications where it makes much of a difference; the HP piston o-ring is one.

Oh how profound!

Why pay shipping or run up the cost of mail order to meet a minimum charge for a couple of "O" rings?
We all know the dive shop doesn't make them but if one needs one or two that would be the place to get them. They should at least be the correct durometer and fresh. No guarantee however, but if the shop isn't a slacker the odds are of success are higher.

Oh how profound!

Why pay shipping or run up the cost of mail order to meet a minimum charge for a couple of "O" rings?
We all know the dive shop doesn't make them but if one needs one or two that would be the place to get them. They should at least be the correct durometer and fresh. No guarantee however, but if the shop isn't a slacker the odds are of success are higher.

Because for a $5.00 dollar minimum order I can buy 100 valve to regulator O rings instead of two or three at the LSD. At that price I can afford to change them every dive if so inclined or give them to other divers who might need one.

Oh how profound!

How do you know if we need at least twenty O-rings in each size instead of one or two o-rings?

Like I said, everyone has a different situation and diving environment. If you are concerned about a shiping cost, nobody doesn't want to drive a car to get one or two O-rings at LDS, specially nowadays. I am not sure how close you live to your LDS though. The cost of mail order is much cheaper than the travel and opportunity costs.

As for the correct durometer, you can get a right info about an o-ring here and there. As you read, this thread is another good example to discuss an o-ring. We are listening, discussing, and being informed here and there. If one durometer doesn't fit, it isn't a big deal to play with other durometers.

In addition, Randy, don't forget this is DIY subforum. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom