O2 conversion on Sierra Booster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will take me a few days to I need to get the cover off and it’s up on a shelf but I will see what I can do they told me I have the updated heads and I think valves so maybe not a lot of work to make the mod I’ll have to look more

Y'all need to study up a little on this. The wrist pin bearings are packed with grease as are many other components like the pressure cutoff switch. There is more to it than being said here. Masterline uses Sierra pumps not the other way around also.

Y'all need to study up a little on this. The wrist pin bearings are packed with grease as are many other components like the pressure cutoff switch. There is more to it than being said here. Masterline uses Sierra pumps not the other way around also.
That is weird, Sierra hasn't made any pumps since 2002. Masterline is buying non existent pumps for their machines?
Somebody better tell Chris at Masterline, he thought we was building them and selling them to Sierra.

Sounds like somebody does need to study up on this. You do that and I'll get back to the three units I have torn down on my bench.

That is weird, Sierra hasn't made any pumps since 2002. Masterline is buying non existent pumps for their machines?
Somebody better tell Chris at Masterline, he thought we was building them and selling them to Sierra.

Sounds like somebody does need to study up on this. You do that and I'll get back to the three units I have torn down on my bench.
Troll

• Funny
Reactions: Tug
Can I offer some small pointers on this suitability for Oxygen with these boosters.
To kick off these oxygen builds were done in Europe using the Sierra air booster as a doner block.
Masterline were at the time working on a 2 stage version we discussed this with them at DEMA and Rix I recall
But pretty much eveything from the original Sierra got canned and re designed and it was a long time ago.

The rings were changed to Kalrez,
The valves changed to ceramic,
The valve springs changed to monel.
The pipework tubing changed to Alpha brass
The 1st stage piston diameter was increased
The inlet pressure was reduced (client requirement)
The 1st stage head was redesigned to reduce the sharp gas approach angles and in bronze
Interstage RTD's were fitted with hi temp cut outs
Sintered bronze oversize cone element filters were used reducing Dp and clogging
Inlet 20-40 Mu interstage 10-20 Mu outs 2Mu also to reduce clogging and particulate from worn ring material
Low Inlet pressure cut out
High Discharge pressure cut out
Interstage cooling was improved using a thin wall pressure break for safety
Interstage relief valves were fitted (ported vents)
RPM adjusted for 50Hz operation and flow requirements
NRV's were added
Cooling Fan was improved 8 blade zero degree pitch angle
Running hours rated at 400 hours before seal ring change at 207 bar
Would or could this have been Draeger re-engineering the Sierra pump to their liking?

Alright all, and paging @Wookie as I think you've got experience with this.
I picked up a used Sierra booster because I have no self control.
I contacted Masterline who sent me the repair manual and a quote for about $1k for their "rebuild kit" which also includes some tools that I'm going to need to replace the seals.

Their part numbers for the o-rings all have 010 in them so hoping someone can confirm those sizes since they charge $5 each for them...

@rddvet any chance the next time you have the cover off of yours you could post a picture of the plumbing? I understand the Sierra's are single stage, double acting, and I'd obviously rather change this to two stage-single acting to slow the fill rates down and decrease the heat generated with big deltas of inlet/outlet pressure.

I already have a motor ordered to convert to 3p with a VFD which is good so it will be able to run off of a standard wall outlet, and other than that I don't think I have a whole lot else to deal with.

Not a lot of discussion on these and sine the Sierra's seem to come up for sale pretty inexpensively I figured I would do a full "conversion" thread since the parts are just under a grand which makes converting one of these pretty cost effective.

Thanks!
you and someone else we know need a 12 step program on compressors/boosters/banks.. Just saying. Me camera gear

Can I offer some small pointers on this suitability for Oxygen with these boosters.
To kick off these oxygen builds were done in Europe using the Sierra air booster as a doner block.
Masterline were at the time working on a 2 stage version we discussed this with them at DEMA and Rix I recall
But pretty much eveything from the original Sierra got canned and re designed and it was a long time ago.

The rings were changed to Kalrez,
The valves changed to ceramic,
The valve springs changed to monel.
The pipework tubing changed to Alpha brass
The 1st stage piston diameter was increased
The inlet pressure was reduced (client requirement)
The 1st stage head was redesigned to reduce the sharp gas approach angles and in bronze
Interstage RTD's were fitted with hi temp cut outs
Sintered bronze oversize cone element filters were used reducing Dp and clogging
Inlet 20-40 Mu interstage 10-20 Mu outs 2Mu also to reduce clogging and particulate from worn ring material
Low Inlet pressure cut out
High Discharge pressure cut out
Interstage cooling was improved using a thin wall pressure break for safety
Interstage relief valves were fitted (ported vents)
RPM adjusted for 50Hz operation and flow requrement
NRV's were added
Cooling Fan was improved 8 blade zero degree pitch angle
Running hours rated at 400 hours before seal ring change at 207 bar
Would all these changes have been Draeger re-engineering the Sierra pump to their liking?

you and someone else we know need a 12 step program on compressors/boosters/banks.. Just saying. Me camera gear
I'm grateful my camera addiction is above the water and not under it....

I am down to a reasonable number though. 2 Rix SA6's that I need to finish with @The Chairman once his back is unbroken, a K14, the 2 Sierra's, and the O2 generator/compressor. Though I have a bigger bank setup than most dive shops which is probably worse

Great advice on the 12-step program. Sign us up now. Never too late in life to learn more about HP breathing air or do a review; after 45 years of selling the product line.

I have a number of extra compressor blocks. I keep having them given to me. If you need one, holler.

No cameras wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom