Oahu – Dive conditions / Site / Operator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just at Haleiwa yesterday. Ali'i beach looked a little too rough for diving the trench, but Haleiwa Beach Park looked great until right where things start getting good. I want to get out there and explore, since I freedived that beach right before I deployed and found some GREAT reef structure out there. It was a bunch of fun. I'd be interested in a buddy and I will make sure to scout it the day before we go.

Peace,
Greg

Well, that turtle cleaning station in above photo is close to a tow-in spot, so nearly 3000' off shore! :wink:

Crlavoie

I hope you are diving Dry in the 30's!! Most of my local diving is in the 50's (on a warm day) and that's with a 7mil Merino lined fullsiut, hooded vest and heavy boots/gloves.

I have to decide if I shodul take my 7mil Merino full-suit or a 3mil LS-Shorty/John combo with a hooded vest (and I really hate wearing hoods) ....

Woudl you have been too warm in a 7mm?

Personally, I couldn't imagine using a 7mm but again, YMMV. I have very little body fat and tend to get cold before most of the guys I dive with if that helps. Also, there was no noticeable thermocline so the temps seemed consistent to me from top to bottom which helps a lot. Thinking back, I was actually colder on the boat between / after dives due to the constant wind than I ever was in the water. I would definitely bring a hood as it will do more to keep you warm than anything else. Again, this is just my opinion based on my short time there.

For what it's worth, you can pick up 5MM full suits like a Bare Brigade from scubatoys for really short money. It's not something you would want to use as your primary suit but certainly better than a rental and more than adequate for the occassional tropical trip.

Steve,

I have done 12 dives with Gabe. I have recommended him to other folks heading to Oahu. He runs an awesome operation. Something you will agree with when you watch other dive ops in on the boats.

I would suggest asking Gabe to line up an Hawaii Kai dive--especially the drift. It sounds like he is seeing some neat stuff over there.

The other nice fellow on Oahu I met with and watched him in the water and boat with his charge was ScubaAndrew. Very nice guy. I would like to dive the North Shore with him during my next visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom