Oasis Divers Phoenix has ceased operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John you are a riot!!!! :)
I must have missed the dreaded sport chalet statment....

John,
I'm doing well, the stores are doing well, and I'm having fun interviewing all the fallout looking for work. Give my regards to Karen.
Don

Always sad to see a shop close. Although I have never been to any shop in that area, I have to wonder how much the energy crisis has affected their business. A shop which is "landlocked" has to rely to a fair extent on dive travel, whether it be via vehicle to places like San Carlos or via air to all the great international destinations. With the downturn in the economy, and sharp increases in prices, many divers do not have the disposable income to make long trips. Just speculation on my part... take it for what it's worth.

Yes, it is sad that people lose their jobs and customers have 1 less place to shop or train with. But considering the fact that Phoenix is the middle of the desert and we are "landlocked" we do have quite a larger number of dive shops to choose from not including the big box Sports Chalet which has a number of stores in the area.
I look at it more as a weeding out of competition. I'm hopeful the remaining LDS become stronger with the loss. Unfortunately I think the economy is having an impact on people's spending for recreation and I expect to hear of other shops folding.

Always sad to see a shop close. Although I have never been to any shop in that area, I have to wonder how much the energy crisis has affected their business. A shop which is "landlocked" has to rely to a fair extent on dive travel, whether it be via vehicle to places like San Carlos or via air to all the great international destinations. With the downturn in the economy, and sharp increases in prices, many divers do not have the disposable income to make long trips. Just speculation on my part... take it for what it's worth.

That sux about Oasis, I planned on visiting next month when I get home from Iraq. I guess the next closest place to me is Scuba Specialties. I need to get my gear checked out I purchased this summer. Probably a Sherwood rep for my Oasis reg. Speaking of Sports Chalet, do all of the stores support a scuba tech dept and are they a Sherwood rep? Might see you all later this summer at the lake. Havent dived there yet.

Speaking of Sports Chalet, do all of the stores support a scuba tech dept and are they a Sherwood rep?
Sport Chalet at I-17/Happy Valley Rd. is a authorized Sherwood dealer. According to the Sherwood website, that means they also service Sherwood gear.

Unless something has changed, sports chalet sends repairs to California for service. Nothing is done in house.

Jeff

Unless something has changed, sports chalet sends repairs to California for service. Nothing is done in house.

Jeff
That doesn't surprise me.

In other, Oasis related news, Amy L. is now the GM at Scuba Shop in Mesa. Glad to see her still active in local diving. The Scuba Shop - Staff

Yes there is still merchandise in the shop, it was locked as is by the property manager. divebri is correct there is a number on the door to the property manager who will put you in touch with one of the investors to get your stuff back if it's locked up in there from what I hear. I'm in that area frequently and I'll grab the number and post it here next week if they haven't reopened by then.
I was able to go down to Tempe and retrieve my equipment (sigh of relief!).

When down there I was told that the PHX store would re-open in about 1-2 weeks as they're fixing issues with the landlord. It's been a week since I was at Tempe and I haven't checked the PHX store so I'm not sure if it actually did open or not. Ha anyone been by the PHX store in last day or so? Seems like Oasis hasn't completely sunk....just the PHX location temporarily.

It's still sad though that an employee would be left in the dark so blatantly.

The Tempe facility I think was nice....just too far from Happy Valley & I-17 area!

Back
Top Bottom