OC classes with CC instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A comment made on another thread got me thinking about what the implications are when an instructor teaching an OC class (not open water but advanced or tech) is using a rebreather for his personal equipment.
I for one feel that if the instructor has calculated adequate bailout gas for him and his student(s) and has taught the student how to access that gas then exposure to mixed groups can only benefit their training. Let's face it, RBs are here to stay and sooner or later you will be getting in the water with a CCR buddy if not with one on your own back.
So I would like to hear others veiws on this subject. My purpose is to educate myself not change anyone's mind on the matter. I know I would get a different perspective if I posted this on a more RB oriented site

I'm not a rb diver (at least not yet), but...

I think that OW classes are lacking, such that AOW classes are filled with folks still learning the basics, and a CC-breathing instructor would be too much of a distraction. Unfortunately most AOW students still need the basics modeled for them.

Anything beyond AOW, however, would be fine.

Just MHO.

Oh, and just to give some perspective, I'm a fan of going CC as early as possible, not one of those that says you should do advanced OC first.

check on the agency standards..May not be recommended/allowed..

That is truely idiotic...and OC instructor conducting any Advanced or specitalty course using and RB..is an idiot.

In a course there are too many factors involved. New students, less experience, stress, what ever the variables. There are facotrs involved using an RB that the General student/diver does not understand nor is cabable in dealing with in the event of emergency. Even if the instructor has a bailout...it is not wise to be sporting an RB during an OC course....

It is just plain stupid.

I am not all that familiar with RBs, but don't you have to ascend from depth slowly so that your PPO2 doesn't spike? If so, and I am not sure how 'slow' that is vs. a regular ascent, it would seem to limit your ability to help a student who might be doing a rapid ascent.....I know there is already a 'limit' to what you can/should do, just not sure if the RB adds an even larger limit

scarefaceDM:
There are facotrs involved using an RB that the General student/diver does not understand nor is cabable in dealing with in the event of emergency. .
Could you elaborate on that a little bit?

Seems to be some widely varying opinions on this. I have done classes with instructors both on OC and CCR. Before the first dive with a CCR configured instructor, I enquired what I needed to know about the RB in order to effectively be a good buddy to him. There was another OC diver in the course so we knew we could team with each other.

This was my first introduction to "mixed" diving, and frankly I found it hugely educational. I have since done over a dozen dives with RB divers with me on OC, and felt fortunate that I understood enough about their needs to feel comfortable diving with them. I have subsequently done a few RB dives myself, and now have a more in-depth understanding of their unique needs. I know how to read the HUDs of at a couple units, and can read the handsets, monitor calibration, etc., just like I would do with an OC buddy.

Had I not had an instructor with RB experience, and one willing to help me understand the critical differences, I would not be comfortable at all diving with others on RBs.

Mind you, this mixed diving took place in Adv. Nitrox, and cave training. I would probably feel differently if it were AOW.

for NAUI would be a violation of standards.

PerroneFord:
Mind you, this mixed diving took place in Adv. Nitrox, and cave training. I would probably feel differently if it were AOW.
Hey Perrone, welcome back!
So do you think AOW is a little early to introduce mixed teams?

BTW: lets all assume the agency standards allow it.

Otter:
I am not all that familiar with RBs, but don't you have to ascend from depth slowly so that your PPO2 doesn't spike? If so, and I am not sure how 'slow' that is vs. a regular ascent, it would seem to limit your ability to help a student who might be doing a rapid ascent.....I know there is already a 'limit' to what you can/should do, just not sure if the RB adds an even larger limit

It's the other way around. Got to watch your descent rate so you don't have an ppO2 spike. Too fast of an ascent is the reverse - could drop your ppO2 too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom