OC classes with CC instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
Hey Perrone, welcome back!
So do you think AOW is a little early to introduce mixed teams?

BTW: lets all assume the agency standards allow it.

Thanks for the welcome, but this is an aberration. Just spending some time here this week before I disappear again for the spring. Less posting, more diving.

Considering that many divers choose to take AOW directly after OW, I do think it is a bit early. Asking divers with less than 20 dives to be prepared to deal with a bailout bottle, monitor PO2 on their buddy, maintain a rate of ascent and descent that allows the RB diver to actually stay with them, etc. It could be a bit much for some.

On my first mixed dives, I was so self consumed, the idea of rescuing a RB diver was not in the realm of possibility.

As an instructor who also happens to dive CC, I would have to say that it would depend on the student in question, as well as the course being taught. 99% of the time I thin the right answer is for the student and the instructor to use similar equipment. It allows for familiarization of the student, as well as ease of demonstration of specific skills and techniqes. I can think of only a few, very limited scenarios where I would contenance an OC student with a CC instructor. If the student was a well known quantity, taking a technical class, I could see diving CC- on the last dive or two of class, when we are well past the skills development phase.

If a student is particularly interested in CC, mixed team issues can be addressed at a later time, once formal training is completed. I really think mixing OC and CC would be a detriment in a basic level course (OW, AOW, etc)- especially with a student who is an unknown quantity.

scarefaceDM:
That is truely idiotic...and OC instructor conducting any Advanced or specitalty course using and RB..is an idiot.

In a course there are too many factors involved. New students, less experience, stress, what ever the variables. There are facotrs involved using an RB that the General student/diver does not understand nor is cabable in dealing with in the event of emergency. Even if the instructor has a bailout...it is not wise to be sporting an RB during an OC course....

It is just plain stupid.

How did you come to this conclusion? I have used CCR in speciality classes - like an intro. to tech., etc. More than anything, the teaching instructor has to consider all sorts of variables and scenarios (even with OC gear) and decide best setups for the job.

X

I feel the instructor should be in the same style equipment as the student. not that the instructor is stupid, I just don't agree with it. Guided a trained cave diver on the other hand I would have no problem being on my RB.

In any class I take, I expect the instructor to be a "perfect" model for the gear and techniques I'm using/learning. Can't do that in a mixed team IMO.

Warren_L:
It's the other way around. Got to watch your descent rate so you don't have an ppO2 spike. Too fast of an ascent is the reverse - could drop your ppO2 too much.

Doh! What was I thinking...lets see...deeper means more pressure.....:bonk:

chickdiver:
. If the student was a well known quantity, taking a technical class, I could see diving CC- on the last dive or two of class, when we are well past the skills development phase.

except for the standards violation with NAUI...

Back
Top Bottom