Occidental Pier Fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another sincere question. How cheap do you buy dives?

Pricing:
  • ProDive – 10 x 2 tank package = $666 => $33.30 + free nitrox = $33.30 / dive
  • Blue XTsea – Seven-days, two-tanks = $550 => $39.29 + $11 (nitrox) = $50.29 / dive
  • Aldora – 2 Tank Dive AM = $95 => $47.50 + $10.00 (nitrox) = $57.50 / dive
  • Tres Pelicanos – Five-Day 2 Tank Daytime = $394.40 => $39.44 + $10.00 (nitrox) = $49.44 / dive
  • Dive with Martin – Five Day 2 Tank = $315.00 => $31.50 + $12.00 (nitrox) = $43.50 / dive
Pricing Webpages:

I just never dive Nitrox in Cozumel. It's essential on deep, square bottom wreck dives like in North Carolina, but not necessary with the multilevel reef dives there. Some would argue that it's safer or that one feels better with Nitrox, but DAN would disagree.
  • ProDive – 10 x 2 tank package = $666 => $33.30/dive
  • Blue XTsea – Seven-days, two-tanks = $550 => $39.29/dive
  • Aldora – 2 Tank Dive AM = $95 => $47.50/dive
  • Tres Pelicanos – Five-Day 2 Tank Daytime = $394.40 => $39.44/dive
Ok, Prodive is still cheaper on a level field, for now. Got to wonder what their long game is?

The pricing doesn't compare bottom times just a price per dive. Having dove many times with Blue XT Sea & Tres Pelicanos I know we dive our air & not the schedule. Not sure about Pro Dive & I know Aldora supplies bigger tanks for longer bottom times which influences a straight per dive comparison.

Re ProDive, curious what kind of boat they use and how many people per boat/dive guide. If it is a different experience altogether then not a fair comparison, but if similar, then yeah that’s a great price.

Pricing:
  • ProDive – 10 x 2 tank package = $666 => $33.30 + free nitrox = $33.30 / dive
  • Blue XTsea – Seven-days, two-tanks = $550 => $39.29 + $11 (nitrox) = $50.29 / dive
  • Aldora – 2 Tank Dive AM = $95 => $47.50 + $10.00 (nitrox) = $57.50 / dive
  • Tres Pelicanos – Five-Day 2 Tank Daytime = $394.40 => $39.44 + $10.00 (nitrox) = $49.44 / dive
  • Dive with Martin – Five Day 2 Tank = $315.00 => $31.50 + $12.00 (nitrox) = $43.50 / dive
Pricing Webpages:
Wow! By price that is quite a difference.

The pricing doesn't compare bottom times just a price per dive. Having dove many times with Blue XT Sea & Tres Pelicanos I know we dive our air & not the schedule. Not sure about Pro Dive & I know Aldora supplies bigger tanks for longer bottom times which influences a straight per dive comparison.

I just checked my log book and discovered that most of the dives above 60 feet are in the range of 55 minutes to 1:10 hours. Below 60 feet, the dives are usually less than 50 minutes. One of my sons is a real gas hog and we alternate him as a buddy, so those dives are a little less. Taking all of that into consideration, most of us have less than 500 psi in the tanks when we surface.

I would like to be able to take advantage of one of the operations that has the bigger tanks available so that the son with the high SAC can stay with the rest of us. I did hear in another thread that ProDive can get 100 cf tanks if you will ask them after you arrive. If we select ProDive for this summer's trip, I will try that.

Another disadvantage of ProDive is that the sites visited are limited by what is "on the schedule". In other words, you cannot pick your dive sites like you can with some of the more custom/valet type operators.

I just never dive Nitrox in Cozumel. It's essential on deep, square bottom wreck dives like in North Carolina, but not necessary with the multilevel reef dives there. Some would argue that it's safer or that one feels better with Nitrox, but DAN would disagree.

OK, the others are more reasonable if you don't use nitrox. I like to use nitrox, and since it is free, that is what I used as a comparison. Sorry if that seems deceitful.

Ok, Prodive is still cheaper on a level field, for now. Got to wonder what their long game is?

I just don't know. I only go to Cozumel for the diving, the relaxation, and the rest. If their long game does away with any of that, I'll be no longer interested.

Figuring pricing per minute underwater is probably a better number...even better, adjust by per-minute/ATA, to account for dives at greater depth (ie., a 60min dive on Columbia Deep with an average depth of 50' is "worth more" than 60 min on Columbia Shallows with an average of 25'). Of course, there are many (many) more subjective factors that many people consider even more important. Since we all like numbers, $/minute/ATA is at least easy to quantify, even if it's not terribly meaningful.

Coming in 2019, a PDC that shows real-time $/diving minute...because stressing over these things during the surface interval isn't enough.

Someone always brings up the $/minutes bottom time equation but that's not a universal bottom line, either. Speaking strictly for myself, at the end of a dive on an AL80 I am usually ready to come up.

Re ProDive, curious what kind of boat they use and how many people per boat/dive guide. If it is a different experience altogether then not a fair comparison, but if similar, then yeah that’s a great price.

Click on the picture of the boat in this link:
Cozumel Dive Shop at Occidental Cozumel | Pro Dive International

There are usually four to six divers and one guide per group. There are usually two groups per boat, although I may have been there when there were three groups per boat. I really don't remember, nor can I remember ever thinking that the boat was crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom