Ocean City, MD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't. It's hard to imagine, however, how you shoot yourself in the head underwater.

Climbing in or out of the boat with a loaded gun?

Sticking loaded gun under your arm while using hands to handle a fish?

Perhaps passing a loaded gun up/down to buddy in the boat and passing it butt end first?

Don't know about spear guns but used to do some land based hunting and more than one hunter has shot themselves. It almost always is not being safe with a loaded gun.

"
Texas man accidentally shoots himself in jaw trying to kill armadillo
"

I grew up spear fishing in my teen years (free diving). One day while I was charging my mares pneumatic gun the shaft slipped and shot out of the water (I was floating at the surface).. as it flew out I grabbed the line with my hand which proceeded to cut my hand ..luckily though the shaft did not strike one of my friends who was about 4-5 feet away on the rocks getting ready to jump in. Those things have some serious power. Needless to say since that day I took extra precautions while loading it.

@Steve_C, I used to do a lot of spearfishing (I've since given it up). We had a simple rule, guns are never loaded on the boat or while entering and exiting the water. Only one of us ever got shot with their own spear. In this case, a friend of mine shot an amberjack. The spear point exited the other side of the fish. It swam in a big circle and then rammed the spear point into my friend's butt. He wasn't amused, but we sure got a laugh out of it!

Back
Top Bottom