Oceanic Atom 3.1 or OCi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIST

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking at picking up the Atom 3.1 or OCi and just wanted to get some thoughts on either. OCi doesn't have a lot of info out there in terms of reviews.

Thought or suggestions are appreciated.

Atom 3.1 675
OCi. 775
Both include a transmitter and cable

thanks

Was hoping to find something out about this myself =PSorry to resurrect the dead, but tis the season XD

I have an Atom 3.0 (actually, I got two, one for my son as well). Although I don't have a great amount of experience, I generally like the Atom pretty much.

I had been concerned about seeing the display (55 year old eyes, nearsighted, but with contacts..) but it hasn't been a problem in practice. It seems to support everything I would need in the near future, up to three tanks (The 3.0 has a "buddy air" feature so I can check my son's air. Patent conflict caused that to be removed for the 3.1, alas.) It has a plethera of alarms (max depth, max time, min air remaining, and more. It's a bit harder to hear the alarm than I had expected, so I don't know that it would get my attention on its own, but periodically checking it reveals when it's getting upset. With three lines of display, it takes a little getting used to it to know what it is telling you in what situation and how to move through the different screens..

We also have BUDs as backup computers, which has a similar display scheme and the same algorithm as the Atom.

We have never had anything more than a momentary drop-out from the transmitter. The computer is programmed with the transmitter's ID code, so there is no dynamic pairing that can screw up and pair with the wrong transmitter. I do, however, wish that there was a button on the transmitter to manually turn it on. It's activated by air pressure, but I don't have a tank at home and it would be convenient to have some way to test the battery level before a trip. The battery in the transmitter and that computer are easily replaceable, so I carry spares, but have never had any problems with batteries.

I download data with subsurface, which has been working well for me.

Overall, I'm quite happy with them and would definitely consider it a strong contender if I was looking to buy it again.

neither. Too expensive. If you want a watch with AI, spend up for the H3 from Seabear, it should be released with an AI transmitter this week after DEMA.

Atom 3.1 has a twist off battery back like my Geo2, battery change is a cinch. OCi has 4 screws securing the back, they suggest a dealer/factory pressure check after battery change, that would be a nuisance. I've had a VT3 for more than 5 years/600 dives, my Geo2 for more than 4 years/500 dives, both 100% reliable, no problems. The prices, above, are about right, LeisurePro a little bit less. If you don't need AI, the Geo2 for $250 is a real bargain.

The Subgravity H3 costs $975 for the watch, will likely be $13-1400 with the transmitter, about twice as much.

If you're not in a hurry, might wait to see what Aqua Lung comes out with for 2016 in their new line of computers from Pelagic Pressure Systems

I would stay with Oceanic. Very reliable and price is right for what you get. Spending over $1K for a dive computer is ridiculous.

hard to recommend staying with oceanic since they sold their computer division to aqualung. that's the problem. The industry has been shaken up really well this year
Suunto from Aqualung to Huish *zeagle/Atomic etc
PPS from AUP *oceanic/hollis/aeria* to Aqualung
Seabear from independent to Scubapro

hard to recommend staying with oceanic since they sold their computer division to aqualung. that's the problem. The industry has been shaken up really well this year
Suunto from Aqualung to Huish *zeagle/Atomic etc
PPS from AUP *oceanic/hollis/aeria* to Aqualung
Seabear from independent to Scubapro

Oceanic says it will not affect them http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/512049-pelagic-pressure-systems-acquistion-aqua-lung.html and http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/oceanic/512422-aqua-lung-purchase-oceanic-aup.html who knows, time will tell. PPS has been the OEM for Oceanic, Hollis, Aeris (until folded into Oceanic), Sherwood, Genesis, Buechat, for a long time. Now PPS will will be OEM for Aqualung, an improvement from them selling Suunto in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what Aqua Lung's line up looks like and what happens to Oceanic and Hollis.

As tbone points out, a very interesting time for the scuba industry. Some have predicted it will end up a much smaller number of large companies, Aqua Lung, Johnson Outdoors, Huish...

There are many choices out there, depending on what you need and/or want. The DG03 will cost you $600 with download cable, it's not watch size, if that's what you are looking for. The DG03 is the old Aeris Elite T3 running Buhlmann rather than DSAT. As discussed, PPS is the OEM for all these computers.

The Petrel will cost you $750. Also from DGE, you can get the Dive Rite Nitek Q for $415, complete with charger and download cable.

Decisions, decisions, maybe that's why so many folks come SB and ask for help in choosing a computer. It must be one of the most common gear questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom