Oceanic OCi owners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulVS

Contributor
Reaction score
So as I mentioned in another thread I just got a spectacular deal on a brand new Black/Titanium Oceanic oci and transmitter.

I also have a like new Atom 3.0 w/ transmitter, and my wife has a Geo-2.

One thing I've noticed is that the oci display idoes not seem to be as "readable" as either the atom or geo2. The contrast of the displays on those relative to the background seems to be greater. I've also seen some grumbling about the oci display brightness on the internet.

We only dive in pretty clear tropical waters less than ~80 ft, so I'm wondering if the display has been an issue for anyone else under those diving conditions. If so, I could probably sell it for a decent amount, and look at something else, or just stick with the Atom 3.

Appreciate any input...

So as I mentioned in another thread I just got a spectacular deal on a brand new Black/Titanium Oceanic oci and transmitter.

I also have a like new Atom 3.0 w/ transmitter, and my wife has a Geo-2.

One thing I've noticed is that the oci display idoes not seem to be as "readable" as either the atom or geo2. The contrast of the displays on those relative to the background seems to be greater. I've also seen some grumbling about the oci display brightness on the internet.

We only dive in pretty clear tropical waters less than ~80 ft, so I'm wondering if the display has been an issue for anyone else under those diving conditions. If so, I could probably sell it for a decent amount, and look at something else, or just stick with the Atom 3.

Appreciate any input...

I'd sell ALL computers, keep the transmitters, and replace the computers with the Geo Air:

Actually, the Geo Air is what I'm considering. What is it you like over the Atom & Oci?

Actually, the Geo Air is what I'm considering. What is it you like over the Atom & Oci?

I haven't used it myself but I was shown some of its features remotely. It is Oceanic's newest dive computer that has all features a recreational diver would ever need with a MUCH better screen.

I dive the OCi (I actually have 2., one primary and one back-up) and have never had any issues with reading the displays. We dive in both clear tropical waters as well as quarries with as little as <5 ft of visibility. It sounds to me that it could just be an issue with the one you have.

I dive the OCi (I actually have 2., one primary and one back-up) and have never had any issues with reading the displays. We dive in both clear tropical waters as well as quarries with as little as <5 ft of visibility. It sounds to me that it could just be an issue with the one you have.

That's good to hear, thanks. I don't think there's anything wrong with the display on this it just doesn't seem to have as much contrast as the other two.

Probably going to try it out at the saltwater pool at my dive shop.

That's good to hear, thanks. I don't think there's anything wrong with the display on this it just doesn't seem to have as much contrast as the other two.

Probably going to try it out at the saltwater pool at my dive shop.
Hmmm, that's just the opposite with us. My wife dives an Oceanic VT4.1 and the contrast is actually slightly better on my OCi than it is on her computer. I really don't know what to tell you.

I really like my OCi as I wear one of them as a watch often. And I really like its functions as a dive computer. Hope you get it worked out.

And I have thought about getting the Geo Air as well. But as well as the OCi works, I just can't justify getting it at this time. Plus, they Geo Air does not have an integrated compass like the OCi. But that really wouldn't matter to me as much as it might to someone else because I'll still have an OCi with me as a backup.

Here's a pic of the contrast difference between the Atom & OCi

Attachments

• 20231208_101152.jpg
    20231208_101152.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 34
Here's a pic of the contrast difference between the Atom & OCi
I definitely see the difference between the 2. It's difficult to see the true color and tones in a photo on-line, but comparing the image you posted with mine, my OCi screen looks more like the display of the Atom..

@PaulVS

I have an old Geo 2, display looks like the Atom, very easy to read

I have thought for quite a while that the OCi was going to be upgraded or discontinued

Back
Top Bottom