oceanic geo as a starter computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanicRocks

Reaction score
I have just under 50 loged dives and dive on vacations... I'm sick of trusting my life to these s called dive masters. just returned fro a lovely trip fromjamaica. however, the guys there are always saying "NO PROBLEM". everything is no problem. they don't tell you how long he dive was ect. Hey "no problem" right? wrong... so time for a personal computer. Looking into the oceanic geo... can anyone give me the positive and negative about this dive computer. any other reccomendation would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Oceanic computers are incredibly easy to use. I cannot remember if the Geo has 2 buttons or one like the Veo 100/180. I used a Veo250 for a while, which is a very similar computer. Some consider Oceanic computers to be too conservative, but I've had no issues with them (especially for a vacation diver).

The nice part about the geo is putting it on your wrist, not having it connected to your first stage on your regulator. You can leave all your other stuff behind (if you so choose) but still bring your personal computer on vacation.

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience with the Geo (other than playing around with it in the store I work at), but I have owned 2 other Oceanic computers (Veo 250 and now a Pro Plus 2) and I love both of them!

I'd say do it!

We've been testing the Aeris Manta (which is the same computer since Oceanic and Aeris are the same company) as a rental and it's been great. It's so easy to use we don't usually have to give divers a guided tour before they take it out, it's tough and compact.

Let me know if you need one, we have them in stock and with free shipping we have lowest price on the net.

I have an Oceanic Geo myself, and I absolutely love it. I do lots of diving as an instructor, and I use the Geo as my primary dive computer. Its great because you can wear it on your wrist everyday. Its super lightweight, it has huge numbers for a watch sized computer, and the screen is really simple to read. Only the necessary information is displayed on the main screen underwater(depth, dive time, no deco), but all of the other information(temp, po2 level, time of day, etc) is available at the push of a button. Of course, its Nitrox compatable, so when you go that direction with your training (if you haven't already), you'll already have a computer thats compatable. Also, it has a really cool automatic altitude adjustment, so you will not have to worry about changing settings if you dive someplace inland.

I'd certainly recommed the Geo for any recreational diver. Its a quality piece of equipment like everything that Oceanic makes. For some reason, its not listed on our website(we will fix that today), but give me a call, i'd be more than happy to talk about it with you.

Brad Ellis

get 1 that is nitrox capabile . even if you dont plan on doing nitrox you may at some stage .

pick a price range . this maybe the most important thing to keep in mind ( if its shinny so is the price tag )

the more it does the more it costs . do you want it to do everyting and then make you a cup of tea when your finished .

if you have the money the smart tech is a brill computer and costs bout $1500 . but the cheapest is about $ 250 . but dont go for that 1 .

I got one as a backup computer at the beginning of this year. I was forced to use it when my Aladin Tec died. (Still waiting to get it back...)

The Geo is a great computer! I have @50dives on it so far. Easy to use, will do nitrox, you can switch between mixes between dives. Perfect size for a wrist computer. Will upload to a pc with the cord (which I do not have due to the obscene $$ for the cord).

I just had to make a minor alteration.....I love wrist mount, but can't stand the stupid straps.
P1010007.jpg

johnnyseko:
I got one as a backup computer at the beginning of this year. I was forced to use it when my Aladin Tec died. (Still waiting to get it back...)

The Geo is a great computer! I have @50dives on it so far. Easy to use, will do nitrox, you can switch between mixes between dives. Perfect size for a wrist computer. Will upload to a pc with the cord (which I do not have due to the obscene $$ for the cord).

I just had to make a minor alteration.....I love wrist mount, but can't stand the stupid straps.
P1010007.jpg

why don't you like the strap? is thre some issue at depth? is it not comfortable? thanks

Some people just don't like the straps. The bungee cords are popular with cave/tech divers.

As I understand, GEO is the same computer with Atom 2 except a wireless feature..

How can it be wrong? Atom 2 is the highest model line in Oceanic except their new toy, HUD.

CORALCRAZED:
why don't you like the strap? is thre some issue at depth? is it not comfortable? thanks

I don't like any straps. Has nothing to do with this particular computer. Bungies are much more comfortable IMO. Especially when you're diving a thick wetsuit or drysuit. The strap extension is useless and I felt like it could fall off at any moment.

If you're wearing it over just your bare arm, I guess it wouldn't matter and you wouldn't need the extension.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom