Oceanic GEO eating batteries!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also got an answer from Mark Lane: he says a firware update MIGHT be the solution and has sent me a file to do it. Problem is I don´t have an interface cable, buying one means another 90 US dollars or so, and there´s no confirmation that it would be a definitive solution. He´s also offered to issue a RAN to send it back to the factory in case the aforementioned didn´t work, or it wasn´t an option.
I´m not sure about investing more money in a product which hasn´t proved itself as reliable.

got mine back from my LDS, I asked them about the problem and they cannot say anything except that they replace it with a new battery, a swiss made "Renata". I check the net and it seems its specs is better...and they also replace the mylar film on it. I already make 2 dives after the battery change but too early to say that its ok needs more time...incase I have problem again I will be force to send it to GEO US.

Hi jamram please keep us posted about the "Renata" battery strategy :wink:
Thanks

I'm interested in getting a firmware update. How did you get yours tato, through e-mail?

got mine back from my LDS, I asked them about the problem and they cannot say anything except that they replace it with a new battery, a swiss made "Renata". I check the net and it seems its specs is better...and they also replace the mylar film on it. I already make 2 dives after the battery change but too early to say that its ok needs more time...incase I have problem again I will be force to send it to GEO US.

I tried Renata. 2 months (approx. 15 diving hours) and now it's dead!

I have two Geo's, one mine, one my wifes... Love em, but they are picky about batteries... Mine was new in the box, October, 2009... It is on its second battery, which is doing great still. So, 4 months you say, already on the second battery... well, I've also logged 315 dives and over 200 hours underwater since then, the underwater portion is what puts such a drain on these tiny batteries... I did some research and ended up buying Panasonic and Sony batteries as replacements in case there was a problem with one or the other... I also bought 5 packs... ends up, each computer has only needed one replacement so far...

All that being said, I just ordered two brand new Geo 2.0's as replacements :) One of these is getting sold, the other relegated to back up duty along with a Veo 100...

Hi jamram please keep us posted about the "Renata" battery strategy :wink:
Thanks

hi tato,

i just made 3 dives today and so far the geo still doing ok. Only 2 wks had passed since battery was replace...but I'm hoping that it would solve the problem permanently.

hi tato,

i just made 3 dives today and so far the geo still doing ok. Only 2 wks had passed since battery was replace...but I'm hoping that it would solve the problem permanently.

FYI - When I used the Renata battery, it did not work well at all. It failed after my second dive. So far the Sony battery has been working.

FYI - When I used the Renata battery, it did not work well at all. It failed after my second dive. So far the Sony battery has been working.

FYI mine comes with sony battery out of the box and operated only 30days and 3 days before giving "Chng Batt." message. Judging from the other post here the issue might (imho) not be battery related at all, hope its not an inerent on the geo.

But most posters recommend either sony or panasonic battery, hope mine was just a case of new but old stock battery.

Batteries would most probably be sensitive to temperature. When you are happy with the Sony battery, please also share with us the water temps you typically dive.

Mine is always complaining once it hits around 4°C or lower, but stops complaining as it warms up again, hours after the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom