Oceanic geo hard reset

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAndDreams

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok need some help pm me if u know the answer...my battery connection came lose
underwater and now my geo says "err" and is undiveable until I send it to the factory...
Anyone know how to do a hard reset w/out me having
to spend $$$ for oceanic to do it? Typing from my iPhone
from vacation so pls excuse all the grammar issues....

Ok need some help pm me if u know the answer...my battery connection came lose
underwater and now my geo says "err" and is undiveable until I send it to the factory...
Anyone know how to do a hard reset w/out me having
to spend $$$ for oceanic to do it? Typing from my iPhone
from vacation so pls excuse all the grammar issues....

Google doesn't turn up anything.

Some computers will reset if you remove the battery, then hold a button or two when re-inserting, however your just sounds broken.

Terry

Just looked at the Oceanic Geo manual (p. 137) at the Oceanic site online ... no user reset info given ... only that if you get the message (usually as a result of the unit turning itself off then on again during a dive, then the unit "must be returned to the factory for evaluation/service prior to any further use for diving activities". Sorry for the bad news.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Oceanic forum

hmm, so because my battery connection came lose underwater (I know this for a fact; long story involving a battery change just prior to the dive) I now have to send it back to oceanic? I only use the darn thing as a bottom timer anyways.....that's not what I would call "user friendly" :)

I believe removing the battery and waiting a few minutes is basically a hard reset (versus the "hot swap" that is discussed in the user guide. However, if the loose battery also involved water in the battery compartment, I would send it back to Oceanic. As a last resort, you can probably reinstall the firmware (if you can find it).

Nope, no water. I pried the batter holder-in-place thingamagic a little prior to the dive when I put the battery in there; so it came lose underwater and lost contact....I'll try the remove/replace of battery but I am pretty sure that won't solve the issue...therte is a battery somewhere in there that holds a charge w/memory...we'll see. Update: Nope battery removal is a no-go.

What a piece fo junk; as I know for a fact that it still worked underwater after the reset (ERR w/ time&depth) and then locked me out (apparently forever...with a ERR message)...

Makes for a nice $300 watch...the lack of a OCeanic rep reply here also makes me happy :)

You didn't properly change the battery and flooded the computer. How does that make it a piece of junk?

You didn't post your thread in the Oceanic forum and you're upset that the Oceanic rep hasn't responded to you? The moderators moved your thread here at 1:39 AM PST. The Oceanic rep hasn't responded by 10:21 AM PST so he's the bad guy?

I think perhaps you have some unrealistic expectations. As an instructor, I would expect you to understand that tech failures are a part of life. Particularly when you "pried the batter holder-in-place thingamagic a little prior to the dive when I put the battery in there."

I understand that this had a negative effect on your vacation, but it's not Oceanic's fault, Doug's fault, or the Geo's fault. Return the Geo for repair and take it as a lesson learned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom