Oceanic HUD to be released MAY 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver:
DO you think it's worth saving for?? What are your thoughts about a mask with intergrated computer??

What if you knocked that mask overboard/lost it/broke it???:shakehead

I've been following development of this consumer version of the military HUD mask mostly because I am always interested in new gear. To be honest, this is one of those things I would be unlikely to purcahse without really trying it out.

The use for the military and some very advanced civilian pro applications is one thing, but I think for most people, it isn't likely to improve their diving, and may actually contribute to problems.

Jeff

Here are my thoughts:

What if the mask was inadvertently kicked off your face by a fellow diver swimming ahead and now sinking to the deeper depth?

1) Go down to retrieve it yourself. Depending on current dive depth and how deeper you have to descend, it's not a great idea if a major deviation from the dive plan must take place.

2) Descend with a buddy to retrieve it. See scenario 1.

3) If cannot retrieve it on this same dive, mark the location of the whereabouts and abort the dive. Plan and execute a search dive as in a Rescue course. This is impossible done if the dive is off a boat and in a current. At night will complicate the matter.

4) Similarly to scenario 3 except forget it and purchase a new replacement mask only. Costly and ouch!

I really like the technology and innovation but these reserve for other purposes. For recreational, I'd like to try out if I can borrow it from somewhere but definitely would not buy it for high cost and the reasons mentioned above, including Maged's.

Interesting points..... so far I have never had the luck of getting a mask kicked off..

What would be some other cons?? just curious.. I could buy so much more useful dive equipment then paying that much for a dive mask... the only pro I see is the heads up display.. thats it....... Heh.. could always make a safety bungee so if it does get kicked off the mask isn't sinking anywhere......

I guess if I really want the heads up display then I could alway tape my computer to my mask :p heehee....

Supposedly I had money to throw around and away for this mask/computer, I'd have to carry an extra mask and a dive computer for backup. I'm using the Cobra for primary and backing up with the Mosquito right now. This same principle still applies except the extra mask will be tucked into the BC pocket.

A bungee cord to tie it off is not a bad idea.

How about long term use, e.g. scratched mask lens or durability (wear & tear) of the silicone skirt? I mean should the lens being badly scratched, cracked, or broken, it should be repaired in order to use the computer. And what if and when the skirt is in no longer great condition, shall it be replaced or placed on Ebay? These will likely be expensive as well for repair/replacement. If my mask is broken or lost right now, it'll only cost $40 to replace and can be purchased from any diveshop instantly. Imagine if this fancy toy would make you a happy diver while being located somewhere on an exotic dive location or live-aboard, if it ever happens.

I think it's a nice mask and very convienient. Do I think it's worth saving for....No. I could pay cash for it, and never wink an eye, but if I had to save for it then I would probably find other more intelligent ways to invest my money.

Inadvertently losing a mask while diving can be avoided by the use of a simple bungie/silicone necklace or lanyard, much like the backup regulator necklace used by DIR divers. I think the real advantage of this sort of mask is how it aids a diver with heavy task loading. Looking at a wrist or console for pressure/depth/time information is trivial, but may be forgotten or performed intermittently when in the middle of a complex operation, e.g. salvaging, mapping, or rescuing. Another excellent application for this mask, or to be more precise, a mask like the DataMask HUD/CompuMask HUD, is rebreather diving. A variant of the DataMask HUD could provide vital information for a rebreather user that could not be missed or ignored by the diver. Due to such advantages, I believe such mask based HUD devices are the future of not only rebreather diving, but tech and recreational diving as well, but obviously they must be affordable to most divers before they become common place.

The argument that masks are easy to lose and therefore an expensive mask is a bad investment fails to consider that most masks are inexpensive and so there is little to no demand for safeguards to prevent loss. When masks become expensive, masks will become more difficult to lose, either by design or by user innovation, e.g. lanyards. The most important question is how such a mask will benefit the diver, and I believe this mask truly serves those who perform complex operations while diving, which excludes most recreational dives, and thus, most divers (with average incomes). You only have to look at the price of the HUD mask to conclude that it is intended for a niche market.

Sadamune

Back
Top Bottom