oceanic Omega 3 v Hollis 212 & 500SE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there everyone!
Lately i've been trying branching out to try new pieces of gear just looking to improve comfort and feel. Something ive always been fascinated with are the side exhaust regulators. So i asked my CD what his thoughts on them were, and his only response was along the lines of "they breathe different". Which of course isnt exactly a descriptive response. So he then kindly fixed his own 500SE to my octo, and i jumped into the pool to see if there was any noticeable differences between the 500SE and my current 2nd stage the 212. I then understood why my CD just said what he did, as something was different , but not distinctive. maybe inhaling was slightly easier/smoother while exhale was rougher (chuggy)?

anyway- the point of this thread is so i can the contrast between these 3 regs.
i expected the omega and 500se to be near twins. however the omega has a pre dive option (to prevent free-flows i guess?) ,and i feel there may be more to see there.

generally my diving is done at cold,shallow depths around 45-60*f at 20 feet. dives to 100 feet are not uncommon, i do plan on 2 dives down to 180 feet.

can anyone tell me a bit more about these regs?
has the Omega 3 been discontinued, if so why?

thanks everyone.

I bought an Omega 3 shortly after they were released in August 2014. The Omega 3 does have a Pre-dive/Dive switch and you are correct on its purpose. I don't have any experience with the other regs mentioned.. I spent a week with it in Cozumel and found it to breath very wet especially when the exhaust was higher than the mouth piece, It got to the point I would have to clear it constantly. I was able to exchange it for the Oceanic Zeo which I've been very happy with. I don't know if I just got a bad apple with that one or what, but I did happen to run into an Oceanic rep who was demoing the new Hollis rebreather in Cozumel earlier this year and he did confirm that the Omega 3 had been discontinued do to problems with it and they have an Omega 4 in the works.

I have been diving the Hollis for maybe two years now. It breathes incredibly easy at any depth. I do photography and like the side discharge. It is a servo assist, which is why you may notice that it seems easier to breath when you inhale. If you press the purge, you can blow the tartar off your teeth--well almost. The design also makes it really nice if you want to attach it to a pony bottle, since it lies flat against the bottle. It doesn't have the pre-dive/dive adjustment, and I don't miss it. I have a bolt snap attached at the spot designed for that and can clip it (I have a long hose) off when bobbing on the surface. Even clipped like this, I've never had a free-flow. The only thing I didn't like was the mouthpiece, which is too thick for my liking. I changed it to a SeaCure.

Back
Top Bottom