Oceanic VEO180 or some inexpensive computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking to buy (3) inexpensive computers. (2 wrist and 1 module insert).

I have looked at the VEO 180 and several other cheapers computers. I can purchase the VEO180 for $200.00 ane the VEO 100 for $150.00.

Are there any other brands or models that would be okay for the recreational diver?

p.s. I have posted ont he Oceanic forum to see if the module for the console is merely the wrist watch with the straps removed.

As an alternative you could look at the Aeris XR1-Nx wrist and the XR2 for console. Before mentioning other brands what features do you want the computer to have?

Because I am a beginner I am not really sure what I need....but

I think I want to have to acknowledge a loud audible alarm and be required to manually terminate the alarm, because I read where some computers only have a single beep or only repeats a few times and you might not hear this.

I want the computer to turn on immediately upon water enty. (no human intervention needed)

I want to be told how long I need to stay on the surface.

I want to be reminded of a Safety stop, and reminded when the stop time is over.

I want an big dial----easy to read.
Dont plan to become more advanced...but if I do....I want to know about deco times and have the ability to do Nitrox.

The VEO 180 does not archives lots of data, nor does it attach to your tank (air integrated)
Other than that the VEO 180 does seems to do it all, (except connect to your tank and keep years of data) but it seems to cheap, so I am sure I am missing something. Its the cheapest new computer I can find and I ***think*** it does everything I need?!?!?!

FEATURES & FUNCTIONS VEO 180 PDC
Modes of Operation AIR, NITROX, GAUGE
Push Buttons 1
Mounting Options SWIV CONSOLE, HOSE MOUNT, WRIST MOUNT
Activation Water or Push Button
Algorithm Basis
Modified Haldanean / DSAT (Diving Science and Technology)
Altitude Algorithm Basis NOAA
O2 Limit Basis NOAA
Tissue Compartments 12 (5 to 480 minutes)
Automatic Altitude Adjustment 2,000 - 14,000 ft
Decompression Capability 10 - 60 ft (3-18 m)
Automatic Safety Stop Prompt YESCylinder Pressure and Air Time Remaining
Audible Alarm YES
Alarm Acknowledgment (U/W Deactivation) YES

Ascent Rate Range 11-30 fpm / 21-60 fpm
Ascent Rate Maximum 30 fpm (<60 ft)
60 fpm (>60 ft)
OceanGlo Backlight (Push Button) YES
SmartGlo Backlight (Sensor) YES
Diver Replaceable Batteries YES
Battery Type CR2450
Battery Life* 300 HOURS
Battery Hot Swap (retains calculations) YES
Low Battery Indicator (Graphic) YES
Calendar / Clock YES
Operating Depth (Max) 330 ft
Operating Depth (Gauge Mode) 399 ft
12/24 Hour Time to Fly Countdown YES
Calculated Desaturation Countdown YES
Dive Mode Displays USER CHOICE OF UP TO 4 MAIN
High O2 Alarm / Warning 300 SOTU / DOTU
High PO2 Alarm / Warning 1.6 DEFAULT OR USER SETTING
On-Unit Log Capacity 24 DIVES
OceanLog PC Download OPTIONAL
OceanLog PC Settings Upload
OceanLog Download Memory Capacity UP TO 150 DIVES**
Pre-Dive Planning Sequence SCROLL 30-160 ft
On-Unit Simulator and Dive Planner
Temperature Display YES
User Reset / Power Off YES
Air Time Remaining Bar Graph
Nitrogen Tissue Loading Bar Graph YES
Oxygen Loading Bar Graph YES
Variable Ascent Rate Bar Graph YES
No Decompression Time Remaining Display YES
Air Time Remaining Display
O2 Time Remaining Display YES
Set Mode with Rapid Advance
Set "Turn Around" Pressure Alarm
Set "Ending" Pressure Alarm
Set FO2 Value (%) AIR, 21-50%
Set Audible Alarm On/Off
Set Max Depth Alarm
Set Elapsed Dive Time Alarm
Set Maximum Nitrogen Tissue Loading Bar Graph Alarm

Set Dive Time Remaining Alarm
Set Units Of Measurement YES
Set Time Format (12/24 Hour) YES
Set Time of Day YES
Set Date YES
Set Maximum PO2 Alarm YES
Set FO2 79/50% Default YES
Set Backlight Duration YES
Set Sampling Rate (OceanLog Download) 30 SECONDS
Set Digital Gauge Mode On/Off YES
Set Water Activation On/Off YES
Warranty 2 YEAR
30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee YES

I see that the Aeris XR1-Nx wrist is about $120.00 more than the VEO180. Do you know of a chart that compares different brands.

I need to find out what the Aeris XR1 does that the VEO 180 doesn't.
It might be worth the extra money.... but for 3 computers thats $360.00.

Yes, it seems to be the one for you. I am a huge Oceanic/Aeris fan, having also used Uwatec, Suunto and even Cressi for recreational diving. One of the best things about Oceanic is their customer service which they take really seriously.

FWIW, I have no affiliation with Oceanic in any way, nor am I a dealer. My opinions come from being a "dive computer junkie" and actual use as a user. If you were a student of mine I would be recommending the VEO 180 to you.

Make sure you buy from an Authorised Dealer. Enjoy your diving!

I just found the Aeris XR1 for $200.00, same price as the VEO 180.

The store says Aeris XR1, not Aeris XR1NX so this one may not be nitrox compatable.

I have a couple of 180's and like them. The screen is easir to read than my XR-1 (not sure if XR-1 NX is different). It is a "Toyota Corolla" of PDC's. Nothing fancy, pretty much the basics, well designed and reliable.

It does not however, tell you how long you need to stay on the surface before your next dive. The dive planner rather indicates how much time you have for the next dive at each planned depth in 10 foot increments. The values are updated as you wait out your SI. I think this is standard for most of the lower cost and single button PDC's.

I just found the Aeris XR1 for $200.00, same price as the VEO 180.

The store says Aeris XR1, not Aeris XR1NX so this one may not be nitrox compatable.

The XR1 (no nitrox) can be had for as low as 140. It is not in the same class as the Veo180 (same manufacturer for both, the XR1 is an older model, no nitrox, with a harder to read screen).

I think you have found the right computer for you. One of my computers is the Veo 200 (older model). There is no catch. A basic nitrox computer will actually do most anything anyone need it to do. Everything else is just bells and whistles.

Thanks!
I dont understand their numbering system. Seems like a 200 would be newer than a 180. One of my questions to the Oceanic rep is how old is the veo 100 and how old is the 180-? I didnt even know that they had made a 200!

I think you have found the right computer for you. One of my computers is the Veo 200 (older model). There is no catch. A basic nitrox computer will actually do most anything anyone need it to do. Everything else is just bells and whistles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom