octo air 2,,,good way or bad way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm seeing alot of scubapros air 2 octo's for sell on ebay for around 40 bucks.Will these fit my Zeagle Escape BCD? Is this the way to go or do I keep my standard octopus

laserdoc:
I'm seeing alot of scubapros air 2 octo's for sell on ebay for around 40 bucks.Will these fit my Zeagle Escape BCD? Is this the way to go or do I keep my standard octopus

supposably you're supposed to get rid of your octo for the air 2, giving the out of air diver your primary, while you breathe off the air 2 (since the hose for the air2 is only as long as your inflator, and sometimes that's too short even for an inflator...)

I started with a Shadow+, similar concept to an Air2, however it does detach from the inflator hose (it has a normal release like an LPI hose.
For personal use, recreational diving, I found it fine.
I'm doing a divemaster course now, however, which means a lot of skills practice and demo. For that, I ended up adding a normal alternate air source (though on a long hose -- 5', though 4' would have been good), and will remove the Shadow+. Right now I have the 3 regs on my first stage -- Shadow+, my primary, and the normal octo/alternate air source, but will pull the Shadow+ as soon as my regs come back from annual servicing.
(What really does work fine for rec use doesn't cut it for demonstrating, where you want to be using the "norm" for outfitting, and a standard alternate air source is still the norm.)

by the way, the quick disconnect so you can keep it with your regs on the Atomic Aquatics SS1 is slick.

OMG, you're gonna die! :D

Nah, I wouldn't get an Air2, a regular octopus is what I'd recommend.

Hmm, maybe I should put the Shadow+ on my pony, just to continue giving folks something to vetch about :)

bnelson:
supposably you're supposed to get rid of your octo for the air 2, giving the out of air diver your primary, while you breathe off the air 2 (since the hose for the air2 is only as long as your inflator, and sometimes that's too short even for an inflator...)
Right know I have my octo bungeed around my neck and I added a 40 in yellow house for my primary. In an out of air emergancy I would hand my prim off and grab my own octo and breath off of it. This past weekend my instructor asked what kind of setup did I have and had to explain to him,,,??????. I'm also thinking about getting my rescue cert in a month or so and wonder if they will frown on my current setup or and air-2???
Got my AOW this weekend,,,that sure was a money maker for them!!

laserdoc:
Right know I have my octo bungeed around my neck and I added a 40 in yellow house for my primary. In an out of air emergancy I would hand my prim off and grab my own octo and breath off of it. This past weekend my instructor asked what kind of setup did I have and had to explain to him,,,??????. !
I'm confused... you're diving with a bungied necklace, but you don't know why? Were you able to explain it to your instructor? It's not the configuration PADI teaches, so I'm not suprised he asked.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend the Air2. Spend the $40 on something worthwhile, like dinner.
laserdoc:
I'm also thinking about getting my rescue cert in a month or so and wonder if they will frown on my current setup or and air-2???
I wouldn't go into Rescue with the expectation that they'll be familiar with your current setup, but if you're able to perform the required skills with it, it shouldn't be a problem. If you can't, it's a problem whether they like it or not.

MSilvia:
I'm confused... you're diving with a bungied necklace, but you don't know why? Were you able to explain it to your instructor? It's not the configuration PADI teaches, so I'm not suprised he asked.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend the Air2. Spend the $40 on something worthwhile, like dinner.

I wouldn't go into Rescue with the expectation that they'll be familiar with your current setup, but if you're able to perform the required skills with it, it shouldn't be a problem. If you can't, it's a problem whether they like it or not.
No,,,I was able to explain to my insructor why I had this setup . Makes me more streamline and in an OOA emergancy a panic diver maybe looking for a working reg,,,like the one in my mouth

Back
Top Bottom