Octo/Alternate - How/Where (do you keep yours?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just wondering how and/or where everybody keeps their octo/alternate...

Back when I first started diving we always kept it in the "safety triangle" (or some such name - in front, visible to anyone who may need it), but I never really found a good way to fix it to one spot yet still have it be breakaway. I used to have a soft rubber holder that the octo mouthpiece fit into, it worked fairly well - was just a bit of a hassle sometimes to get the thing in - are these still around?

We've been diving with combo alt/inflators (Sherwood Shadow Plus) for the last 15 years (my wife dives the same set-up as me), but since switching over to a BP/W I've determined that the Shadow Plus' hose is now a bit too long for our "H" wings and I don't like the way the knurled knob on the connector rubs the corrugated hose on the wing (so using a shorter hose isn't really an option even though the Shadow uses a 3/8" reg hose).

So, we decided to lose the combo inflators and instead added a couple of R295's to the kits. Any suggestions on what types of holders work and which don't? I don't dive a long hose, so no necklace. I figure we'll probably end up using some sort of holder with a clip or boltsnap to attach to a chest D-ring but figured I'd ask around and see what everyone else is using.

Thanks all,

I know it drives certain segments of the dive world nuts but you could use the necklace with a fishermans knot. This allows the necklaced regulator to slip free for rapid deployment. Way back I used regulators that had factory necklace straps with snaps. Maybe that is why this feels so natural to me. N

A piece of bungee works just as well and is adjustable.That one looks too short fo me.

Just because you are going to a BP&W doesn't mean you can't use a octo on the inflator or an integrated. I myself have a Aquatech Air 3 on my OMS wing.

Just because you are going to a BP&W doesn't mean you can't use a octo on the inflator or an integrated. I myself have a Aquatech Air 3 on my OMS wing.

It's not that I'm going to a BP/W - its that I'm not happy with how my Shadow Plus works/fits with the BP/W I'm already using. Standard style BC's - great, short corrugated hose wings - not so good.

I have been using it, but it's just not the best for the present set-up. It works, but to be streamlined and comfortable it needs a shorter hose That I can do easily enough, I know I can get 16" hoses made up - but that still brings the whole assembly up pretty close to me face and it kinda bugs me having that extra gear above my left chest D-Ring.

All that said, the biggest issue with continuing to use the Shadow Plus with my wing is the fact that the LPI fitting which connects to the inflator has a knurled knob that rubs against the corrugated hose. It's rough enough to chew through the corrugated hose and holes in hoses are a bad thing in my book.

I've used this octopus holder made by Scubapro:

Scubapro Octopus holder in Regulators,Accessories from Simply Scuba

Works fairly well. You can clip it to a D-ring (in your case I'd guess you'd use right chest D-ring).

I think most Scubapro dealers carry them.

You can do something similar to what Nemrod suggested (bungee with fishermans' knot), but maybe attached to D-ring rather than as a necklace if that's what your more comfortable with.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I've seen various octo holders and I'm thinking of getting one but can't quite decide which one I like best. In the mean while I simply keep it on a D-ring on my right shoulder, probably same as 1 T Submariner.

I simply make a bight of the hose which I push through the D-ring. The hose is stiff enough to keep the octo in position and a yank on the octo pulls it out of the D-ring without a probem.

Back
Top Bottom