Octo Holder recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead600

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to know what you guys recommend for an octo holder. I have been using a hose clip to hold my octo to my BCD. I also have a mouthpeice holder (ball on a ring) that I haven't used yet. Seems like it would be a pain stffing the mouthpeice in it every dive. What are the pros & cons for each?

Tried 'em all, prefer to have my octo on a necklace under my chin.
Ber :lilbunny:

BTW, I see you're from Michigan, have you checked out the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew section of the board? There will be a meet-n-greet at Gilboa April 27-29, you're more than welcome to join us!

I've never found a ball thing that worked for me, a pain to get the thing in yet always fall out. I suppose in theory the ball thing would keep things out of the octo, though I don't see that as a problem when you've got the thing clipped up to begin with. I find these work well though you can almost accomplish the same thing with a snorkel keeper.

There was also a problem stated several years ago about the closed ones, such as the ball, might be susceptible to "holding" bacteria. I use one I picked up at DEMA. It's a flexible square that "wraps" around the mouthpiece and attaches anywhere you want.

The snorkel holder works for me. (the old-fashioned rubber figure-eight type)

I've tried a few types & I like the ball.
Nice & visible & not tight enough that there is a risk of pulling the mouthpiece off in an emergency if someone grabs the reg fast.
The reg does tend to come out of the ball during a giant stride but I'm quite used to this and by the time I break surface I've already plugged it back in.
Swimming UW it very rarely comes out.

I tried the necklace arrangement and never got used to it. Under my chin is where I put my mask while hanging around on the surface. NMOF.

miketsp:
Under my chin is where I put my mask while hanging around on the surface. NMOF.
On my face is where I put my mask while hanging out at the surface NMOF and definitely NMUC (no mask under chin) :D

Back
Top Bottom