Octo recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Edit: Went with the Z2. Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch. I've been out of diving for a few years now.

I have an Atomic B2 in which I've decided to do away with the SS1 octo inflator and go back to a traditional octo setup. Atomic is expensive. Is there any advantage to sticking with an all-Atomic setup regarding service/warranty, or would you recommend something else instead? I do like Atomic's 2 year service interval, with warranty non-contingent upon proof of regular servicing. Are other companies doing that yet? How important is warranty to you? I doubt I'll actually bring in just the octo for service once a year if I get a non-Atomic model.

I don't mind spending the money on something of quality, but don't want to spend unnecessary money either. I'd like to stay under $300.

Maybe something along the lines of this?
Sherwood SR2 Octopus, Yellow Hose

Or this? ($180 on Amazon)
Mares Abyss Octopus

Both can be had on Amazon with 2-day shipping. Open to all recommendations though.

For servicing, matching brands is a good idea if you aren't diy and want everything to get serviced together at one shop

If the price of the z2 Octo is too much, look at the new zeagle onyx ii octo. Very similar to the atomics now since they are owned by the same parent company and higher likelihood an atomic dealer may also be a zeagle dealer.

Or maybe just get a deep 6 Octo and live with it being a different brand and that you will likely have to mail it out separately for service

Deep 6 Service Manual

Have a quick flick through here

The most informative manual out there

may also suggest something about their gear

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking around over the past hour and I think I've decided to just stick with Atomic. Since I just dropped off my B2, they'll both be on the same service schedule. LP offers a 6% military discount which helps a little. Brings the Z2 to $272.

I wish you LOTS of happy and safe diving where you never have to use the octo except for practice :)

When I was teaching, I would tell students to descend using their octo. If it was not performing well on the descent then it was not going to perform when it was really needed.

Back
Top Bottom