Octopuses came from outer space ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vote? Someone's probably going to try to get him to run for office.

It’s more Judy Tenuta than science, I blocked BGR from my news feed because this and an article on “ancient life on Mars” which they billed as science rather than “it could happen”!
I guess you haven't heard. These days you can just say "because science" and eliminate the need for all that messy stuff like studies and publishing papers and other mumbo jumbo. If someone disagrees with you, you can just call them an idiot for not believing in science. That's a scientific fact.

...and they even let encourage him to vote.
FIFY

Science is a process, not a thing. Science is a study that systematically approaches the truth. It is like guy standing in a room and walks half way to the wall. And from there walks half way to the wall. And again. (Sometimes someone introduces a concept like relativity and the wall moves!) But he will never reach the wall at that rate. If we believe in the concept of infinity we cannot say "this is true".
When I was a kid the origin of life was explained by vague concepts like "primordial ooze" and "amino acids" mysteriously evolving aided by "UV light". I don't know if better explanations have come about since then through religion or philosophy or science as to why life was created or created itself on this teeny-tiny laboratory called earth.
To me, squids from space makes as much sense as anything else.

In a previous job, I had the honor of working with Piers Sellers, a former astronaut and NASA earth scientist who was an avid scuba diver. He was fond of saying that octopuses were a perfect analog for what an alien intelligence might look like, and he actually used videos of octopuses in public lectures. His life was cut short by pancreatic cancer. He and I had been exchanging emails about octopus behaviors, and one day he stopped responding. He recorded this message right before he passed:

I guess you haven't heard. These days you can just say "because science" and eliminate the need for all that messy stuff like studies and publishing papers and other mumbo jumbo. If someone disagrees with you, you can just call them an idiot for not believing in science. That's a scientific fact.

Actually, these days people are being called idiots because they DO believe in science.

As the dolphins said just before leaving the planet, "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Science is a process, not a thing. Science is a study that systematically approaches the truth. It is like guy standing in a room and walks half way to the wall. And from there walks half way to the wall. And again. (Sometimes someone introduces a concept like relativity and the wall moves!) But he will never reach the wall at that rate.
"Antelope Freeway one mile
Antelope Freeway one half mile
Antelope Freeway one quarter mile
Antelope Freeway one eighth mile
Antelope Freeway one sixteenth mile
Antelope Freeway one thirty secondth mile
Antelope Freeway one sixty fourth mile
Antelope Freeway one one hundred twenty eighth mile
Antelope Freeway one two hundred fifty sixth mile
If you lived here you'd be home by now."

- Firesign Theatre "Ralph Spoilsport Motors"

Any other old frints out there?

"Antelope Freeway one mile
Antelope Freeway one half mile
Antelope Freeway one quarter mile
Antelope Freeway one eighth mile
Antelope Freeway one sixteenth mile
Antelope Freeway one thirty secondth mile
Antelope Freeway one sixty fourth mile
Antelope Freeway one one hundred twenty eighth mile
Antelope Freeway one two hundred fifty sixth mile
If you lived here you'd be home by now."

- Firesign Theatre "Ralph Spoilsport Motors"

Any other old frints out there?
How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom