Off the wall question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another option is to plan a short dive with another computers or tables and lower the computer on a line off a boat. That way you can rack deco obligations up on the computer while you're safely topside. Then when the computer goes into deco, dive down and do your short dive you planned while you're checking out your computer.

It takes a little planning, and a boat, but I've heard of a similar technique used to purposely lock out a spare computer on a surface interval to mess with other divers on a charter. At least by planning it out you can learn something from this prank.

Just a thought, using a pressure pot at your LDS is probably easier, but less fun because there's no actual diving involved.

I second bubbletrubble opinion.

I don't know about the Gekko, but the Viper and Cobra also have a 'simulate dive' mode where you use the buttons to go down and up, but otherwise behaves exactly as it would underwater.

No the Gekko does not have a 'simulate dive' mode.

boat sju:
Does your lds have a vessel for pressure testing computers ?

I haven't a clue. I will find out next time I go there.

I guess what makes most sense is to do it as a part of a class of some sort.

This article by NWGrateful Diver is helpful in giving first hand advices on what to do if you find yourself turning your dive into a deco dive by mistake:

NWGratefulDiver.com

Another option is to plan a short dive with another computers or tables and lower the computer on a line off a boat. That way you can rack deco obligations up on the computer while you're safely topside. Then when the computer goes into deco, dive down and do your short dive you planned while you're checking out your computer.

It takes a little planning, and a boat, but I've heard of a similar technique used to purposely lock out a spare computer on a surface interval to mess with other divers on a charter. At least by planning it out you can learn something from this prank.

Just a thought, using a pressure pot at your LDS is probably easier, but less fun because there's no actual diving involved.

Funny that you mention this because my husband-buddy suggested to attach a line on a computer with a weight during a dive then do the dive as normal while leaving the second computer at depth and then retrive it after a while in shallower water.

I am also wondering about the usefulness to watching a dive computer going into deco while being dry on land...OK you can see that the display has changed but how can you apply what the computer is telling you if you are not actually diving?

While the Gekko does not have simulation mode other Suunto computers do. My suggest is see if you can get a hold of a Vytec and run the simulation mode on it. The display will be very very similar as to what you will see on the Gekko.

Suuntos are pretty conservative. I would not hesitate to acquire a ceiling on a first dive. Does the Gekko have a personal conservatism setting? I don't think so, but if it does, crank it up to 100% to go into deco more readily. Another option is to hang it over the side on the end of 60 feet of line for an hour; then go in and retrieve it--bring a watch!

Suuntos are pretty conservative. I would not hesitate to acquire a ceiling on a first dive. Does the Gekko have a personal conservatism setting? I don't think so, but if it does, crank it up to 100% to go into deco more readily. Another option is to hang it over the side on the end of 60 feet of line for an hour; then go in and retrieve it--bring a watch!

The Gekko does have a personal conservatism setting. I haven't mess with it yet.

The Gekko does have a personal conservatism setting. I haven't mess with it yet.
My Suunto D9 has three "personal mode" choices: P0, P1, and P2. At 30 meters, for example, they will give you 18, 14, and 12 minutes of no-deco time, respectively. If you are comfortable with being a P0 diver: healthy, fit, well-hydrated, well-rested, and under 50, say (my criteria), then you could crank the conservatism up to P2, go to 30 meters for 16 minutes, and put your computer into deco while still being 2 minutes inside your "true" no-deco limit.

My Suunto D9 has three "personal mode" choices: P0, P1, and P2. At 30 meters, for example, they will give you 18, 14, and 12 minutes of no-deco time, respectively. If you are comfortable with being a P0 diver: healthy, fit, well-hydrated, well-rested, and under 50, say (my criteria), then you could crank the conservatism up to P2, go to 30 meters for 16 minutes, and put your computer into deco while still being 2 minutes inside your "true" no-deco limit.
I think vladimir made a wonderful suggestion. Kick up the personal conservatism and put your computer into deco. I apologize for not thinking of this earlier. If you want to, you could also dive nitrox with tables while the computer is set for air. Essentially, you'll get the experience of using your computer in deco without excessive nitrogen loading.

As I said before, I really hope that you can appreciate how conservative Suunto computers are. If you have the opportunity, dive with someone using a Pelagic computer (brands: Oceanic, Sherwood, Aeris, Genesis)...or borrow one such computer and compare it to your Gekko throughout the dive. You'll see what I mean.

Thank you very much folks! There is a lot of info here...more than I can chew. I am not going to try all those experiments dry or wet straight out of the hat right now. I need to think about it.

-and a good way to think about it would be to take Decompression Procedures. Actually doing a decompression dive is not a requirement of this worthwhile course. I have no idea why this point isn't stressed by the agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom