off with my head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I understand it is that the perfumes in scented talc have oils that degrade latex. You can purchase pure talc in bulk online very easily (and cheaply). Try Vermont Talc.

I don't use talc on anything. It can contain asbestos, depending on where it was mined.

Corn starch is supposed to work well, although I've never tried it (I've got neoprene seals, which apparently don't need anything).

Terry

H2Andy:
ok, honestly, how bad is it?

instead of using talc powder for my latex seals, why not use baby powder?

what chemical atrocities could the baby stuff do to my latex seals? i mean,
isn't it good enough for a baby's bottom?

so... how bad of an idea is it to use baby powder in a pinch?

Web Monkey:
I don't use talc on anything. It can contain asbestos, depending on where it was mined.

Corn starch is supposed to work well, although I've never tried it (I've got neoprene seals, which apparently don't need anything).

Terry

Wow! Never heard of that. Most of the places I've researched show the chemical composition of their product and I've never seen asbestos as a component, even in trace amounts. I'm surprised with current regulations that anyone would be able to sell it at all with detectable amounts of asbestos, especially in a friable form.

Just google it.

"asbestos talc site:gov" turns up over 19,000 hits on US government sites alone.

Terry

Scubageezer:
Wow! Never heard of that. Most of the places I've researched show the chemical composition of their product and I've never seen asbestos as a component, even in trace amounts. I'm surprised with current regulations that anyone would be able to sell it at all with detectable amounts of asbestos, especially in a friable form.

Web Monkey:

Terry
I tried the corn starch but it just don't do the job like talc. I've got an industrial size tub of pure talc my wife bought me from a chemical company for 54.00 three years ago, and it's still 3/4 full.

Funny, it says on the tub not to breath the stuff.

Right... Try that when you're powdering you're neck seal.

Andy, the baby powder is perfect if you plan on stretching the neck seal over a baby's butt. :D

Folks,

Another suggestion, if I may. Get a large silk scarf. Put it over your head. Slide head through neck seal. Pull scarf up and off. Voila! :D

Just use a little non-scented talc to dust the rubber of the seals for storage. Rinse it off with a little water before you dive if it might irritate your skin. Voila! :D

Web Monkey:
Just google it.

"asbestos talc site:gov" turns up over 19,000 hits on US government sites alone.

Terry

I stand corrected. The products I researched before purchasing are all non-asbestosform or non asbestos containing. Asbestos never popped up when looking for pure talc suppliers. Hmmm, I think there may be a talc conspiracy here! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be extra careful what I buy (hack, hack).

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

Another suggestion, if I may. Get a large silk scarf. Put it over your head.
Right.

And where do you suggest I go and buy this pretty silk scarf? Spokane is not that big of town, you know.

Maybe you have a few laying around you'd like to send me.

:D

Don't use talc on my hd pro. os systems recommends seal saver. my instructor has been using it for years and swears by it. I've been using it since last fall when I got my suit. Just rinse the suit and apply a little at the end of the day, seals are nice and slick. When storing after a weekend I rinse the suit and to get rid of any excess sweat or salt on the seals I use a little mild detergent like dawn in warm water. wipe the seal down then wipe with clear warm water, overkill maybe, then apply the seal saver to the dry seals with a soft cotton cloth. I've stored my suit like this for a month and when I took it out of the bag the seals looked like new and were still nice and slick to put on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom