For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plate itself is $200 which comes in satin finish.
If you want it polished it’s $50 extra.
There is also a wedge bracket option in standard weight which is $35 and the new heavy option is $45.
They are a hand made, hand formed custom backplate designed to be paired with either the VDH wing, Oxycheq wing, or the new DGX gears 30 lb donut wing. Other wings will work too but the three listed above are the preferred wings.

Hey Eric! What are these standard/heavy wedges? Are they just for the added weight or does it have any other uses.

Thanks!

It’s just a thicker chunk of metal for some added weight.

Thanks! ah that's great news for cold waters!

I saw from the post these are the standard weight specs:

Small: 14” tall, weighs about 4 lbs with the rail, and uses 9.5” center holes for the rail. The wing used needs to have a secondary set of grommeted holes that have 9.5” centers (which most do) to be bolted on in between the rail and plate. The small fits people between 5’2” and 5’7”.

Medium: 15” tall, weighs about four and a half lbs, and has standard 11” center holes for the rail/wing. The Medium fits people between 5’7” up to 6’1”.

Large: 16” tall, weighs 5 lbs, 1.25 oz.
I assume the weights quoted above is the "standard" one?
And usually how much additional weight does the heavy option adds?

And apologize if this is covered somewhere else that I didn't fine. :)

Thanks! ah that's great news for cold waters!

I saw from the post these are the standard weight specs:

Small: 14” tall, weighs about 4 lbs with the rail, and uses 9.5” center holes for the rail. The wing used needs to have a secondary set of grommeted holes that have 9.5” centers (which most do) to be bolted on in between the rail and plate. The small fits people between 5’2” and 5’7”.

Medium: 15” tall, weighs about four and a half lbs, and has standard 11” center holes for the rail/wing. The Medium fits people between 5’7” up to 6’1”.

Large: 16” tall, weighs 5 lbs, 1.25 oz.
I assume the weights quoted above is the "standard" one?
And usually how much additional weight does the heavy option adds?

And apologize if this is covered somewhere else that I didn't fine. :)
Those weights are no longer relevant since they included the rail which is no longer made.

These are the new specs. *BTW, the plate has not changed only the accessories.

The plates by themselves weigh:
Small - 3 lbs
Medium - 3.5 lbs
Large - 4 lbs

The wedge bracket accessory:
There are two sizes of wedges, one for small and another for medium/large plates.
The small standard wedge weighs 10 oz and the small heavy wedge weighs 1 lb 2 oz
The medium/large standard wedge weighs 12 oz
And the medium/large heavy wedge weighs 1 lb 5 oz.
If you are using a VDH, Oxycheq, or DGX gears single tank wing you do not need a wedge if you don’t want to use it. However the wedge is a nice accessory to use since it changes the angle of the tank and lines it up better with the straight axis of your body (helps keep the tank off your butt). Some wings require the use of the wedge for tank stability and to provide a flat surface for the tank to rest on. In that case it becomes an adapter bracket.

Based on the listed weight specs above you can pick and choose which configuration you want.

The rail is no longer made because it proved to be problematic with different wings and IMO could be misused and was prone to being set up wrong and becoming unsafe to use. There were also issues with the top bolt length always being too short or too long based on the wing used and what grommets and roll control system it had. The wedge is a simpler solution even though theoretically not as many different types of wings can be used as with the rail. However, I think there are plenty of great wing options for the wedge alone so I’m going with it.

Those weights are no longer relevant since they included the rail which is no longer made.

These are the new specs. *BTW, the plate has not changed only the accessories.

The plates by themselves weigh:
Small - 3 lbs
Medium - 3.5 lbs
Large - 4 lbs

The wedge bracket accessory:
There are two sizes of wedges, one for small and another for medium/large plates.
The small standard wedge weighs 10 oz and the small heavy wedge weighs 1 lb 2 oz
The medium/large standard wedge weighs 12 oz
And the medium/large heavy wedge weighs 1 lb 5 oz.
If you are using a VDH, Oxycheq, or DGX gears single tank wing you do not need a wedge if you don’t want to use it. However the wedge is a nice accessory to use since it changes the angle of the tank and lines it up better with the straight axis of your body (helps keep the tank off your butt). Some wings require the use of the wedge for tank stability and to provide a flat surface for the tank to rest on. In that case it becomes an adapter bracket.

Based on the listed weight specs above you can pick and choose which configuration you want.

The rail is no longer made because it proved to be problematic with different wings and IMO could be misused and was prone to being set up wrong and becoming unsafe to use. There were also issues with the top bolt length always being too short or too long based on the wing used and what grommets and roll control system it had. The wedge is a simpler solution even though theoretically not as many different types of wings can be used as with the rail. However, I think there are plenty of great wing options for the wedge alone so I’m going with it.

Thank you so much for the so detailed answer!
So this means I'd I go for a MD/LG plate I can actually order both the standard and heavy wedge to take weights off my belt?

Hey Eric, do you have a picture of the wedge in use? I have plate #411 which came with the rail, and am curious about changing it out for the wedge. I am using a VDH 23lb wing.

Heavy 1/4” wedge on left, standard 1/8” wedge on right.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Heavy wedge with edge guards on.

Thank you so much for the so detailed answer!
So this means I'd I go for a MD/LG plate I can actually order both the standard and heavy wedge to take weights off my belt?
Yeah a little. More so with the heavy wedge.

Yeah a little. More so with the heavy wedge.
Great!

Please sign me up for a Medium plates with both sets of wedges!

I saw that you mentioned previously that you have these in stock now! but no rush and take your time.

Also if it's possible, I'd like to to have mine polished as well! I can wait additional time!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom