For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been searching for pictures of this late model with bolted rails.

Can you post some pictures here.

I understand that i can bolt the wing inbetween the plate and the rails, does that mean i can use a wing without holes for cambands and just put the bands around the rails, or does that not work.

I plan to buy a new wing, maybe between 18-25 lbs, but it would be nice to be able to use my existing Agir Blackbird before i can find the right one to use.
I’ll have to figure out how to do that. I use an I-phone exclusively now and haven’t figured out a way to post pictures directly from my phone.
I’m guessing I need to establish an account at a photo sharing website somewhere and link the URL.

To answer your question, if your wing has 11” center holes then it will get sandwiched in between the plate and rail bracket and you bolt it together and have a solid unit. If the wing slots line up with the plate slots, great! If not you can always run the cam straps under the rail bars and skip the plate slots. Halcyon for instance has no wing slots so this would be the only way to use one of their wings with my plate. You can also bolt the rail directly to the plate then lay the wing over the outside of the rail bracket (float it) then run the cam bands through the wing slots and around the rail bar skipping the plate slots. This would work for wings where the 11” grommets are not in a favorable position on the wing or for wings with some sort of very strange tank wobble stopper system that does not allow the wing to be sandwiched in between the plate and rail.
Finally, some wings will allow for the plate and wing to be used without the rail bracket entirely. The wing sits directly onto the back of the plate and the cam bands hold everything secure. The wing has to have slots that line up with the plate and larger size cylindrical roll control cushions in order for this to work. Oxycheq and VDH wings allow for this.
The only downside is this you lose the magic tank angle that the rail provides to keep the tank angle at the premium offset degree. People who travel and want to shave off 1 lb of weight from their baggage will do this.

I’ll have to figure out how to do that. I use an I-phone exclusively now and haven’t figured out a way to post pictures directly from my phone.
I’m guessing I need to establish an account at a photo sharing website somewhere and link the URL.

To answer your question, if your wing has 11” center holes then it will get sandwiched in between the plate and rail bracket and you bolt it together and have a solid unit. If the wing slots line up with the plate slots, great! If not you can always run the cam straps under the rail bars and skip the plate slots. Halcyon for instance has no wing slots so this would be the only way to use one of their wings with my plate. You can also bolt the rail directly to the plate then lay the wing over the outside of the rail bracket (float it) then run the cam bands through the wing slots and around the rail bar skipping the plate slots. This would work for wings where the 11” grommets are not in a favorable position on the wing or for wings with some sort of very strange tank wobble stopper system that does not allow the wing to be sandwiched in between the plate and rail.
Finally, some wings will allow for the plate and wing to be used without the rail bracket entirely. The wing sits directly onto the back of the plate and the cam bands hold everything secure. The wing has to have slots that line up with the plate and larger size cylindrical roll control cushions in order for this to work. Oxycheq and VDH wings allow for this.
The only downside is this you lose the magic tank angle that the rail provides to keep the tank angle at the premium offset degree. People who travel and want to shave off 1 lb of weight from their baggage will do this.

Thank you for your answer.

My existing wing do not have any slots for cambands, and if the grommet spacing differs I have no problem adding some extra grommets, but it would be more work to get nice slots in place. Also I plan to get a new wing that is more suiteble size than the 16kg (36lbs) wing I have now, but it is nice that I can use my Agir if I like to.

I was thinking of getting a VDH #18 wing but I am going to see if I can find any suiteble wing inside the EU, usualy the extra cost of importing from outside EU is a little high if I can get an similar item inside EU.

That’s one of the very first 9 plates I made. That’s about 2004. That’s No. 9.
Did you get that from Peter Wolfe?

I did not. It must have exchanged hands multiple times.
The fit is fantastic though!

Eric gave me a demo version of the Freedom Plate in 2006 to show around SoCal. I loaned it out to a couple other divers and wore it myself to show it off at the beaches and on boats for several months. When Eric announced he was returning to L.A. in July 2007 with a new batch to sell I wanted to be the first buyer. I returned the demo and he started to hand me a new one when Merry grabbed it out of my hands.
For a few months, I couldn't keep up with her on surface swims. She used to have a jacket BC that acted more like a sea anchor. Now she was zipping right along. I finally got my own soon after that. It is now the oldest piece of gear I use and I don't see it ever coming off my back.

Eric gave me a demo version of the Freedom Plate in 2006 to show around SoCal. I loaned it out to a couple other divers and wore it myself to show it off at the beaches and on boats for several months. When Eric announced he was returning to L.A. in July 2007 with a new batch to sell I wanted to be the first buyer. I returned the demo and he started to hand me a new one when Merry grabbed it out of my hands.
For a few months, I couldn't keep up with her on surface swims. She used to have a jacket BC that acted more like a sea anchor. Now she was zipping right along. I finally got my own soon after that. It is now the oldest piece of gear I use and I don't see it ever coming off my back.
I’m actually seriously planning to make another one of those trips to Socal to sell plates out of the back of my pick up in Vet’s parking lot. Those were good times man! I felt like I was peddling some sort of contraban and someone was going to call the cops on us, lol! It’s been a while since I’ve been down there to dive and visit you guys and everyone. Jon D. mentioned that there are several people he knows that hang out at Pacific Wilderness that are interested in a plate after they saw his. I’ll be down that way in January for sure for the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona (work stuff). I’m going to tie in some leisure time while I’m in the southland, maybe jump on a boat?
It’s cold and rainy up here, I need some Socal!

When Eric announced he was returning to L.A. in July 2007 with a new batch to sell I wanted to be the first buyer. I returned the demo and he started to hand me a new one when Merry grabbed it out of my hands.
:)

Nobody really 'owns' a Freedom Plate. Owners are just one more recordable step in that plate's provenance. When I am forced to hang up my fins forever, old #10 goes back to central for reassignment. But right now, it is having way too much fun to travel.

:)

Nobody really 'owns' a Freedom Plate. Owners are just one more recordable step in that plate's provenance. When I am forced to hang up my fins forever, old #10 goes back to central for reassignment. But right now, it is having way too much fun to travel.

:) That reminds me of an anecdote. I was diving my EZ-Pack( Freedom Plate's Cousin ) in Bonaire and one admirer said he would buy it from me if I did not like it. I explained to him that if I did not like it, I would GIVE it to him.......poor bastard.

I’m actually seriously planning to make another one of those trips to Socal to sell plates out of the back of my pick up in Vet’s parking lot. Those were good times man! I felt like I was peddling some sort of contraban and someone was going to call the cops on us, lol! It’s been a while since I’ve been down there to dive and visit you guys and everyone. Jon D. mentioned that there are several people he knows that hang out at Pacific Wilderness that are interested in a plate after they saw his. I’ll be down that way in January for sure for the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona (work stuff). I’m going to tie in some leisure time while I’m in the southland, maybe jump on a boat?
It’s cold and rainy up here, I need some Socal!

Please let us know when you'll be arriving. Lots of people dive vets on Wednesday evening if the conditions are good. Also, lots of people there on weekends... again if conditions permit. I'm on some dive chat groups so I can get the word out when you have a date/time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom