Oh dear what am i getting myself into....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome from another climber/diver.

Looking at a map, I'd say that diving in significantly closer to you than big wall/alpine destinations. Enjoy the new wallet drain.

Bluefish:
Welcome. Not only is there Lake Michigan, there's also a couple quarries devoted to diving not too far from you. Check out
http://www.haighquarry.com which is open right now, by the way!
http://www.pearllake.com opens April 21

Pearl & Haigh are good for training and practicing skills. Love them both. And regarding the cost for this great hobby....remember, it's only money. You can't take it with you. Good Diviv & good Viz, George

Thanks everybody for the very warm welcome! Belive me, with that long list of hobbies i'm more than happy to deal with another wallet drain :) i think i've moved past exasberation and into excitement. i'm also thrilled to see so many poeple here from chicago! i'm a big fan of online communities (rockclimbing.com, reefcentral.com, avsforum.com) and how they can help unlikely people with simular intrests connect. oddly enough my top 5 guy friends are all poeple i've met through these channels.

your very right, climbing is not a good addiction to have here in the chicago area. the closest being devils lake, wi with what i consider to be some awfully short climbs. but, they have a lake up there as well and i've talked to more than a couple divers up there. sounds like a fun weekend to me, climbing on saturday and mild scuba on sunday :)

i grew up in rural michigan. cow tipping, through quite fun (fun level is equally proportional to blood/acholal content) i'm sure is no comparison diving!

browsing around the net, i've seemed to find a good deal of packages in the $1k range plus or minus quite a bit. though i don't yet know enough to sort out the values from the ripoffs i'm starting to think that this will be quite doable.

and even when not in use the gear will look very cool hanging on the wall in my study next to the climbing gear :)

so chicago peeps, where should i start looking for instruction?? does anybody have any good suggested reading?

Merkur:
so chicago peeps, where should i start looking for instruction?? does anybody have any good suggested reading?

I'm a Northsider and have used Scuba Systems in Skokie. They have their own pool, which is convenient.

They are somewhat agressive selling equipment and further courses. For example, they suggested that my daughter take an advanced open water course immediately after completing the PADI initial course. When I went in to buy a 2-gauge console, I was told that I didn't value my life if I did not buy a computer. Just a little heavy, IMHO.

garyfotodiver:
I'm a Northsider and have used Scuba Systems in Skokie. They have their own pool, which is convenient.

They are somewhat agressive selling equipment and further courses. For example, they suggested that my daughter take an advanced open water course immediately after completing the PADI initial course. When I went in to buy a 2-gauge console, I was told that I didn't value my life if I did not buy a computer. Just a little heavy, IMHO.

I agree 100%. How can you take an AOW right after you OW ? I avoid them totally. Where is it written that you HAVE to have a computer ? Thy are just trying to make a sale. You know what ? I live in Rogers Park and Beilive it or not I go all the way to Scuba Emporium for all my Scuba diving needs. Servicing of regs, VIP & Hydro of tanks, etc. Prices in the northern sububrs are too high. There is a shop in the Northen suburbs, which I won't mention the name, that charges $90.00 for yearly servicing of Scubapro regs...in warranty mind you. That's outragous. I can go to Alsip to Scuba Emporium and get the same service for $15-$20 each. That's a considerable difference in cash. I love diving but I am not just going to throw my $$ away. Also you have realize where they are located and who they are catering to. Nuf said. Good Viz, George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom