Oh, the weight of my dive world on my shoulders.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On my OW dives the dive shop where I rented my gear told me that everything goes in the dive bag except for the tank and weights.

Is this a shop specific rule to preserve their rental gear or is this the general consensus amongst divers on transporting weights?

I will have to admit that I transport my extra weights to the dive site in the bottom of my roller bag with out the scuba gods striking me down. Am I just lucky?

How or where do you carry your weights to the dive sites?

Heffey:
On my OW dives the dive shop where I rented my gear told me that everything goes in the dive bag except for the tank and weights.

Is this a shop specific rule to preserve their rental gear or is this the general consensus amongst divers on transporting weights?

I will have to admit that I transport my extra weights to the dive site in the bottom of my roller bag with out the scuba gods striking me down. Am I just lucky?

If you put weights on top of the wetsuit, you're may put some serious creases in it. Since I dive integrated, my weights are normally already in my BC with 2 lbs extra in my gear bag. If I'm bringing weight for another person, I have a dedicated weight bag (I think it's made to hold 80lbs or something, but the most I'll have in it is about 46 or so.) If it's your gear, do whatever you want. If it's the shop, respect their wishes (or at the very least, put the weight at the bottom of the bag--be careful the bag doesn't tear though). :wink:

That policy prevents the lead from crushing hoses on your other gear. Keeping lead out of your dive bag also makes your bags lighter and easier to handle especially if you are boat diving and having to pass bags to another person to get them loaded on the boat. Some diver's get pretty ticked when they find out your already heavy bag had lead in it too. The lead I wear goes in my harness beside my gear. I keep my extra weights on a belt beside my bag so I don't forget them. When I'm using soft weights they go in the mask rinse bucket that always accompanies me to shore dive sites.
Ber :lilbunny:

For any dive site that I can drive to, I put my weights in a heavy-duty plastic dairy box, not one of those cheapos that you buy in office stores. The weights take up little space and I use the rest of the room in the box to keep my stuff together under the bench of the dive boat. The dairy box is self-draining and does a nice job of keeping my gear out of everybody's way.

I do not put my weights in my gear bag mainly because of the unnecessary strain it puts on the shoulder strap. You can also buy small, heavy duty nylon bags specifically made for weights. The trick is to take the bare minimum weights that you will need for the dive. Don't take all of them.

Obviously if I am flying to a dive site I do not take my weights or tanks.

Heffey:

It is probably because of the gear or perhaps a boat.
Heffey:
If a bag gets dropped overboard while loading on a boat, it is unlikely to float if the diver's weight is in the bag.
Heffey:
I prefer to wear mine on a belt. If for some reason I want to bring extra weight, I use two belts.

It's just practicality, as said putting your weights in the same bag with everything else is more apt to damage something else and will make your bag very heavy. It's harder to carry and maybe the bag rips eventually. If you've got weights on the bottom of a roller bag I don't see a problem until someone has to lift it. I would usually just have my weights on a belt and carry it separately, either worn or slung over my shoulder.

I bought one of those Akona bags that is specifically for weights. I have had it for just over 1 year and no problems. I generally carry 36 lbs of lead in it. Many people also use those square plastic containers that galvanized chain are packaged in at the boat store. I think keeping the heavy stuff seporate from dive bag is a good idea, it will keep you equipment safe and as well keep your dive bag from unnessary wear and tear.

I know of some shops that actually provider their renters/students with weight bags (the lil black bags) so it not only prevents people from mashing their gears with weights without telling them, it also makes it easier for them to transport. As for people with rollerbags like me, it's kinda based on common sense to put the weights on the bottom of the roller bag anyway. (Can you imagine someone standing next to his bag with all his gears pondering whether yo put his weight on top of his reg or the other way around? Besides, most serious divers I know always use trollies and rollerbags for long istance transportation anyway.)

Also, from personal experience, the lead in the bag will eventually strain and cause the bag to tear. Mine lasted almost a year until it said enough was enough. Now I have the seperate weight bag.

Heh...I put my weights in my bag. Then again, I only dive with a max of 6lbs of weight :)

Back
Top Bottom