Oil at 4 miles and closing - Destin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When have any whale sharks died from this spill? Not sure where your getting all of your reports from.

Well this promises to be at least an entertaining thread to read while we speculate about what the oil's impact will be.

not trying to stir the pot here.... but a recent story about oil in Destin and diving.

‘I CAN STILL SMELL IT ON ME': Unexpected oil encounter for dive group near the jetties | group, jetties, dive - News - TheDestinLog.com

‘I CAN STILL SMELL IT ON ME': Unexpected oil encounter for dive group near the jetties
June 17, 2010 11:17 AM

Andrew Metz

On Wednesday, MaryAnn Epp, an instructor with Scuba Tech in Destin, was out on a group dive near the jetties. When they came up, they were coated in more than salt water.

She was assisting a group of 14 snorkelers and nine divers when “the tide started hitting the jetties” and customers started coming back on the boat with an extra layer of film, which smelled distinctly like oil.

“We had to wash the people off to get the smell off of them,” said Carla Moore, Scuba Tech co-owner.

Scuba Tech owners and employees believe that Wednesday’s trip was their last for some time and they have already noticed a dramatic drop in business.

“I have noticed that I have not received a lot of calls this morning,” Moore said Thursday.

Epp said that the customers, despite being covered in crude oil, were very understanding.

“They were aware of it and were actually nice about it,” said Epp. “They felt bad for us. They understood that it was our last trip.”

On Thursday, Epp and Moore sat in the store, as information continued to roll in about plans for the East Pass.

“I think I can still smell it on me,” said Epp.

The crew was not the only ones to report the sight and smell of oil near the jetties. Jokerman Capt. Andy Stempki reported hitting oil about 150 yards from the mouth of the pass.

“It stinks like diesel,” he said.

The city of Destin even issued a warning Wednesday night stating that “Oil product has been spotted near East Pass. The Coast Guard and other BP resources have been notified and are being deployed ASAP to the area.”

The spill occurred in feeding grounds frequented by Whale Sharks. I don't know of specific reports, but its more of a probability than a possibility at this point.

No idea what its going to take to clean the beaches... and its pretty obvious that nobody else does either.

Crusty Young Salt

Status
Profile Info
Logged Dives: 2,000 - 2,999
Stats
Photos: 48

Well this promises to be at least an entertaining thread to read while we speculate about what the oil's impact will be.

Well Said

What is false? The reports of two dying whale sharks, oil covered wildlife, the oil in the sand along Louisiana and Mississippi and the now spreading spill to the east and the plumes underwater that are drifting into the loop current? The fact is that we don't know what is false and what is not right now and if this makes you angry, join the club.

I am from the Gulf Coast, I have property about in said regions and relatives and worked as a petroleum geologist and some other expertise and given what mostly non factual information has been released to date by the parties involved I see no reason to sugar coat or mislead.

As to the economy, how much is a pelican worth, how much is a whale shark worth, sticking your head into oil soaked sand does not change anything. I am not running for most popular forum member BTW. The fact is that you probably know far less than I do about this disaster and the environmental repercussions.

N

You have know idea what i know about oil spills you dont know what type of training i have had or as far as that goes anyone .So you should keep all your NEGATIVE comments to your self ! There is alot of out of town divers that look at this and if they see your NEGATIVE comments on here they may not come down here and thats bad for all the dive shops so please keep all your NEGATIVE comments to your self please !!

You have know idea what i know about oil spills you dont know what type of training i have had or as far as that goes anyone .So you should keep all your NEGATIVE comments to your self ! There is alot of out of town divers that look at this and if they see your NEGATIVE comments on here they may not come down here and thats bad for all the dive shops so please keep all your NEGATIVE comments to your self please !!

Only positive comments are allowed on SB:D, would not want to confuse anyone with differing opinions would we.

Seriously, the oil thing is a b.f. mess, lets not deny it and try to keep a positive spin going just to lure a few more tourist dollars in before the truth hits home.

Back
Top Bottom