Oil Spill in Batangas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another bad news polluted, hope find a solution, wait for your photo!!!
Thanks you for your sharing

oh no no . . . . that is really so sad to hear. damn it. not anilao. grrrrrr. im angry

Oil Spill in Anilao, Batangas by Doy Tan

At around 10:00 AM today (October 14, 2006), scuba divers from Scuba World's Outrigger Resort namely Edward and Migo Hernandez, Colleen Lee, dive guide Biboy Labagala and dive master candidates Darren Abcede and your writer were at at the vicinity of Bahay Kambingan on Caban island for surface interval time after their first dive at Mainit point. Bahay Kambingan is right beside Kirby's Rock one of the many dive sites of Anilao, Batangas. The group just came from a dive at Mainit Point and while doing the surface interval at Bahay Kambingan, Darren Abcede notice that there was oil on the pebble covered beach. We immediately investigated and found out that the whole area had an oil slick. Knowing that Guimaras is too far away, we all agreed that the oil spill came from the area. Darren Abcede checked how much oil was on the beach and turned some pebbles around. Some areas were covered by over one inch of oil.

Thinking that it's an isolated incident, the dive group boarded their boat to their next dive at Kirby's Rock. On the way to Kirby's Rock, the smell of crude oil was in the air. The side of our boat was now a brown/tar color from the oil that was floating on the water. Even the marker buoy at Kirby's rock was also brown in color. We also noticed that the oil at Kirby's rock was thicker than the one we saw at Bahay Kambingan. We decided to abort our dive and proceed to another dive site, Sepok Wall.

During the boat ride to Sepok wall, we saw large patches of oil spill on the surface of the water. Upon reaching Sepok wall, the oil spill was just enough to allow the group to do a short dive. Upon surfacing, we headed back to Outrigger Resort to report the incident to the resort management. Fernando de Achaval immediately contacted proper authorities. As of this writing, the Philippine coast guard, Department of Environment and Natural Resources, WWF is now investigating the incident.

Forgive the wet lens, we just came from a dive...
269306938_a7ba07af06.jpg

269306933_a47295c771.jpg

pyrodiver:
Oil Spill in Anilao
269306938_a7ba07af06.jpg

269306933_a47295c771.jpg
Oh......polluted!!!!:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Sad to say I was a victim of this incident.
I was in Anilao for a 4 day and 3 nights stay with my family at Eagle point's.
I was enjoying my vacation after being greeted by Manila's International Airport with out power so no aircon and manual processing at the airport.

My vacation went well after doing a diving escapde with my familie's blessing.
I just finished my dive at Daryl Laut and was doing some snorkling at Sepok Beach with my family when one of the staff run out and called us out the water.

I had oil stains on my body and hair . My dive guide had to scrub me down with kerosene . I thank God my 4 year daughter was not covered with the filth as she was along me on the beach

another Japanese diver who was also snorkling had it worsed . He freaked out when he saw the oil not knowing what it was. I had to ask him in japanese if he was ok.

I told my fellow divers back here in Saipan about it the simply shooked their head .
After reading the Inquirer story about the Philippines being one of the best dive spots.

Back
Top Bottom