Oiy my ears!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Magan, you didn't know about equalizing. Your scuba instructors should have told you that. You can hurt your ears even in a pool. It makes we wonder about the quality of instruction you might get from these folks. Do your homework before you give them money.

Well, she got a Free Intro class. Rather generous. Maybe they did cover it along with a hundred other things, but with a minimum of class before if any, hard to be thorough.

He did mention equalizing your ears towards the very end of the session. At this point I had heard about 100 terms I was 100% unfamiliar with and had taken in so much information in such a short amount of time my head could burst. I told him I was done for the day. He probably should have mentioned it earlier but im not sore with him. It was incredibly overwhelming for me and probably him to have to teach everything you need to know in less than an hour to a person whose never cracked the book!

I did a resort course before real training, but mine was a 5 or 10 minute briefing on a few basics while on the boat, then into the sea. :eek: Amazing how rules are interpreted out in the Caribbean. I did have a personal guide for every dive and he worked the BC valve. After 3 dives, one to 100 ft, I was hooked - but wondered why I needed more training? :silly:

The more times you dive to depths where you feel pressure and have to equalize, the easier it gets...Jon's advice is what I was taught too.

I'm at the point where I hardly ever have to equalize anymore...my eardrums must have the elasticity of sponge rubber! :D

That sounds scary Don. I cant imagine being at 100ft with no idea what Im doing. But again im a control freak :wink:

Where in NC are you Glam? Im new to VA and Ive recently realized I can drive there in about 1/2 hour!! :cool2:

That sounds scary Don. I cant imagine being at 100ft with no idea what Im doing. But again im a control freak :wink:

Where in NC are you Glam? Im new to VA and Ive recently realized I can drive there in about 1/2 hour!! :cool2:
Well, it wasn't smart but I didn't know. It's amazing what Discover Scuba courses become in the Caribbean. Not a good thing no. I'm glad I went on with several other courses.

NC offshore wreck diving is super when you are trained and experienced enough for it. I really don't know about the newer diver sites there, but the members on the NC forum here will help - along with Glam maybe. :D

... my ears are STILL throbbing...

I had that; well sort of it was more like a dull pain; went to the MD and he cleaned out a ton of wax and stuff from my ears -that fixed the issue.

I'm in land-locked central NC....in Thomasville, nearest cities are High Point & Greensboro.

There are lot's of rock quarries here to dive in and then there's always my pool! :D
Haven't dove offshore NC but have always wanted to do the U-352 wreck off Morehead City, which I hear isn't that hard of a dive if the currents aren't blowing hard the day you dive it....

Back
Top Bottom