OK, 'fess up.... the Dark Side of Solo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She has since been replaced by the "New and Improved" Mrs Stoo. The first one stopped diving. The new one loves it.

Based on your gear, is it safe to assume that you have been married to the original Mrs Nemrod forever? If so, congrats!

A good (diving) friend recently boasted of having reached his 40th wedding anniversary. When met with my puzzled look, he clarified that it had taken him five wives to reach that milestone...

Diving kinda does that...

Thanks, actually yes, 30 years and I had dated her for six before so essentially we have been together all the way through college, through grad school, through work and yes she dives.

N

I solo because I'm such a cranky old fossil no one will dive with me more than once.

Thanks, actually yes, 30 years and I had dated her for six before so essentially we have been together all the way through college, through grad school, through work and yes she dives.

N

LOL Well done! I was going to ask if you have her serviced now and again as you do your well-loved gear, but perhaps I should let that go... :wink:

I solo because I'm such a cranky old fossil no one will dive with me more than once.

I hear you. I can barely stand diving with me... I can only imagine what it must be like for someone else...

I just tell people it is much safer, I only concentrate on myself. Yes I have gotten myself in a situation here and there that caught me by surprise, yet you can think and react quicker than with another. Not to say that when me and my wife ran in to these things we can communicate easily and reaction time was quick, but not instant like solo diving. Another thing I say to someone unhappy with my diving alone, is oh yes you must be a recreational diver! politely.

Happy Diving

just got to this thread. Lets see, I solo dive because I take photos and nobody wants to hang around as I am fussing with the little critters. I'm old and crotchety, so that keeps folks from diving with me. I'm kind of opinionated, since I'm an old Army infantry type which also keeps people from diving with me. I figure I can take care of myself since I've been doing it for 70 years now.

And I've been married to the same woman for 45 years. Of course she doesn't dive, do martial arts or play the bagpipes. All of which are my major hobbies. And I don't shop, go on cruises, or gamble, her major hobbies.

You all are more polite to the dive police than I would be.

I think I'll get a wee Smurf bagpiper to put on my BC for a dive buddy.

I think I'll get a wee Smurf bagpiper to put on my BC for a dive buddy.

I think I see a trend developing here. Maybe we should order up a bunch of "Crotchety Old Bugger" Smurfs to use as buddys! :D

My wife always has a toy scuba diver in her briefcase, I have one hanging from my rear view mirror, her son has one on each of his motorcycles. So in a manner, we are never without a dive buddy.

I motion we combine elements of the grumpy old divers forum with the solo forum and create the grumpy old solo divers sub-forum.

I motion we combine elements of the grumpy old divers forum with the solo forum and create the grumpy old solo divers sub-forum.

Great idea.I'll be 50 in a few weeks so I'm not "old" yet.Haven't soloed either,but the day will come when I'm ready.As for being grumpy,crotchety,and set in my ways....I already have that covered.:D

Seconded.. All in favour?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom