• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

OK, 'fess up.... the Dark Side of Solo...

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by Stoo, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Reku

Reku Solo Diver

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    One time I hovered in one place for 2 hours without moving - that would not have been feasible with a buddy.

Jordan Trotter likes this.
  2. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I dive solo because if I had not, I would not be able to dive the majority of times. I probably would have given up diving, as there was no one available to dive with when I wanted to dive. That was 30-40 years ago. Now, I dive in spots in the Clackamas River that few have the skills to dive, including diving under rapids, against 3-5 knot currents, etc. It makes for a good workout, but it also allows me to see some things no one else has ever seen, such as the effects of warm river water on the salmon run in the river.

Please watch my video, Salmon in Trouble, to see what I mean.

SeaRat

shoredivr and lowviz like this.
  3. savsuds

savsuds Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I never got to become an astronaut like I always wanted to. Diving to the bottom, clipping my fins to a lanyard and picking up 10lbs of rocks helps me practice my moon walking skills without being judged by anyone except the Japanese tourist divers being lead by their DM.

4. northernone

northernone Great White Rest in Peace

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    ...true skin diving, with just mask, fins, tank and reg...

No Japanese tourists around thankfully.

WarrenZ likes this.
  5. jodylynn007

jodylynn007 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thanks for bringing this thread back to life, I was not around these parts when it began, nor was I a solo diver at that time either.

I can't add much more than what has already been said other than because of the freedom of choice, to choose to dive solo or not, I now have the freedom to PICK my buddies or NOT pick one and dive solo and that has me enjoying my dives 100% of the time for all the reasons stated above. I enjoy the best of both worlds, diving with perfect buddies and diving perfectly solo, I'm never stuck with someone less than ideal anymore, thank heavens.

6. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    My go-to *heart* LDS closed for real. *sigh*

I've since been denying reality and existing off transfills and duct tape. OK, get a grip.

Worser yet, some $%*#@!!*& mouse decided to use my drysuit for a nest. I clean and dry everything then put it all into a plastic bin. Shoved too many bins on the shelf, lid folded open. Mouse sees an opportunity.

Evie to the rescue. (first woman on the Andrea Doria and all that...) Now, those of you who know her will love this. "Dudas Diving Duds" was all her. She made suits for the gals when there was no other source. That name also drove the jocks insane. I mean, like, Dude! I'm a diving DUD? It says so on my tank!

Anyway, I come crying and she smiles. Works me like a rented mule for a day. Finally the suit. "Look in that bin for some cut neo with fabric on one side." No! Not that, keep looking. How about this? Yeah.

Listening to insane stories about the past while she patches my suit.

What do I owe you? She smiles, "You're good".

Solo.

It is all about people. But not while you are diving... :wink:

Patch.jpg EvieDudas.jpg

7. Frontpointer1000

Frontpointer1000 Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
  8. John C. Ratliff

John C. Ratliff Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Last Monday I dove, suit, BC (my own design), Mar-Vel Backpack with weights in it, and had a great dive. Here's what I wrote in the Vintage Scuba Supply site:
    It was a good dive, and I got to talk with a kid who may become a diver as a result (you never can tell).

SeaRat

northernone likes this.
  9. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I solo dive for almost all of the reasons listed (of course, I haven't read it all). Started because my early on regular buddy moved and hooking up with someone when the vast majority of divers are at least 50 miles away was just too much of a bother. Regular (basically weekly) diving is my routine, and being retired, there is nothing much to stop me if I'm solo.

10. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Solo Diver

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I solo dive because it doesn't scare the fish, most people I have dove with can't or won't dive were I like to (lots of current or the man in the gray suit), and I can be as selfish as I want on the dive :wink:

savsuds likes this.