OK, 'fess up.... the Dark Side of Solo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm off work on Fridays. :D

I can hang out at 20' and practice clipping and uncliping stages and stuff for an hour without my buddy going crazy-bored.

Last edited:
If this is the "dark" side of diving solo, I belong to it! I've never been able to master the frog or modified frog kick so I flutter. Since I'm always near the bottom (great whites just don't surprise you by jumping up out of the sand), I stir up a cloud... but it helps me navigate back to the boat. I hate to dive with someone else who might report this to the entire Board!

Because I'm selfish and it's all about ME! I can go down, do whatever I want, when ever I want, where ever I want (all legal and pro conservation however) and not have to worry about or answer to anyone. As Mel Gibson said in Braveheart - FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Big Selfish Solo Diving Ol Flea Infested BEAR!

I've only recently started solo diving for recreation. (I've soloed for lobster for several years, but most lobster dives end up being solo dives regardless of how they start) I prefer to dive with my GF since part of the pleasure of diving is sharing the experience; pointing out stuff to each other, discussing it afterwards, etc.) If she can't dive and the opportunity arises it's hard to find an insta-buddy, so I solo. What I really need is a readily available buddy with a fast boat and a large bank account.

Because it's so nice to not constantly have to ask a buddy, "are you OK?" ... "are you OK?"...

Because I can hover and watch a pile of rocks for an entire hour if I desire.

Because when I get the urge to kill somebody, no one is there, thus saving me jail time.

Because it's so nice to not constantly have to ask a buddy, "are you OK?" ... "are you OK?"...

Because I can hover and watch a pile of rocks for an entire hour if I desire.

sometimes watching rocks can be strangely entertaining, especially while inverted on a safety stop . maybe thats why I am not a chick magnet :lotsalove:

I'm a spiritual guy and Solo makes me feel like a superior being. Oh, wait, that's not right.

Actually I'm pretty lucky because Solo diving is so common in my neck of the woods that it's rarely even discussed. Like many others, I enjoy the freedom and simplicity of Solo. It's that simple.

The looks on people's faces when I come out of the water by myself is sometimes priceless :eyebrow:

Practicing drills over and over without boring anyone else is fun, too.

I have stated before the spiritual side of the dive is what it is about for me....
But since we are fessing up.
There is no greater thrill than walking accross the bottom like a mark 5 diver, walking right up to the side of the wreck, extending one arm, leaning in, opening the bolt on your pee valve, and letting it fly.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom