OK... I'm moving from FL to PA... where can I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaytonaDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good news and bad news!

I'm engaged! Yeah! But it means that when we get married in early January, I'll be moving back to my hometown (Harrisburg, PA).... I just got back into diving, and plan on getting as many dives here in Florida as possible before then. When I learned to dive, years ago in PA, I did my OW dives at Bainbridge quarry.... I was wondering where the locals go to get wet up there these days. Is there diving at Raystown Lake? Where else is there? Weekend trips? Day trips? I don't want to give up diving so soon into getting started (and buying gear) again... I plan on getting in contact with my old instructor (and his LDS), but want to hear from locals.... Oh, and I'll have to come up with some new dive buddies:D

Thanks!
Dave

Bainbridge is still a happening place! Dutch Springs and Willow springs also...Go to the Wreck Valley forum and root around there, there's a bunch of posts.

DaytonaDave:
Oh, and I'll have to come up with some new dive buddies:D
SAY WHAT??!!! Hey, the engagement and marriage are a good thing...... good luck with that.

I'm still trying to believe what I just read about moving to PA....... sorry 'bout your luck. <insertsmart@$$smiliehere>

You have new dive buddies any place you wanna go......... you just joined SB :D

Keep us warm water Conch Divers posted.........and welcome aboard!

Congratulations on the engagement. :)

Yeah, Dutch Springs is good fun, but you'll quickly out-grow it. I'm new to NJ diving but I'm hooked. Raystown Lake? I never even considered it but a quick web search turned up this. Oh, I suggest maybe trying a drysuit instead of the 7mm.

Best of luck to you

St. Lawrence River in Kingston, Ontario, Canada - will be a great weekend getaway. It will be a cool visit because there is a lot of things to do including shopping, visiting a castle, and etc... Do a google search to find out about the scuba charters. I used Divers City - awesome! There are a few shoredive in St. Lawrence River.

For diving upnorth, I would strongly suggested you to get drysuit instead of 7mm. I will get too cold in 7mm in just a few minutes. So I ended up buying a drysuit and loving it every minute.

Congrats on your engagement!

Yup.. hit the NJ coast, Dutch Springs, and Ontario for weekends getaways.

Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence are mind-blowing. On Saturday I'm going to be wreck diving in a 3mm wetsuit.

Thank you for responding so quickly! You've eased my mind! Dutch Springs looks like a great place to dive. I will certainly look into the others that you all suggested. I'll be looking some of you up for dive partners in the near future!

Jersey Shore has several good dive boats. I like going out of Belmar. Very convienient to get to and away from with I-195. I'm not sure how long it would take from Harrisburg but it takes me an hour from Phila. Probably another 45min depending on how fast you drive.
I'm also frequently at Dutch.

for a three hour drive you can dive the delware river in upper pa and ny some very good spots and if you like deep dives there is norrowburgs where the water is 120 ft there.

Back
Top Bottom