OK, play 'Scuba God' for one day...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There has been a lot of chest beating about the Master Scuba Diver certification lately (see here and here). Did I say lately? I meant perennially.

But if you could remould the structure of recreational diver training tomorrow to make it better fit what you feel the needs of the diving community are, how would you do it? I am sure the DIR guys will have plenty to say, as well as the Europeans who follow a different training structure.

Just to kick things off, here are my nascent thoughts on it:

Open Water Diver
I think the standard OWD course as taught by PADI and its variants does what it needs to do - gives people sufficient training that they can dive reasonably safely under supervision whilst on holiday. And that is what I would probably limit it to. I'd teach people tables (screw the wheel), but would probably make dive computers mandatory anyhow. But once certified you still have to dive under instructor/DM supervision until you gain enough experience.

Sport Diver
I needed a new title ('Advanced' gets almost as many flames as MSD) so I shamelessly stole the BSAC name. Could also call it OWD II. I would inject into this course underwater navigation, understanding of nitrox and gas analysis, gas planning, and deeper diving. I would probably also throw in buddy breathing as mandatory, low visibility diving, lost buddy drills, kicking techniques. It would include a skills assessment involving some contrived bouyancy control challenge. There would be an exam. I'd put in a minimum requirement of 12 dives to start the course, and certification would enable a diver to rent equipment and dive alone.

I would include a 'waiver' style programme whereby divers could apply for the card or a variant with proof of (say) 25 logged dives (which would in my system would have been under the supervision of a DM or instructor, as above) similar to the NAUI 'experienced scuba diver'. But the waiver wouldn't allow you to progress with higher training - just certify you to rent gear and dive without DM supervision.

First Class Diver
This new rating would incorporate the old 'rescue diver' course (which I'd probably also make available as a separate specialty for those who wanted to do that alone). Would also include elements of dive leading and dive marshalling. I would probably also try to include an element of deeper diving and decompression training (I figure if nearly 60% of recreational divers really are doing it without tec training, it is time to bring the training down to them (as they do in Europe)). It would include full nitrox training. Age limit would be 16.

Elite Diver
Again, purely to get away from the MSD title, I have shameless stolen the IANTD title (which let's face it, sounds cooler). Obtaining the MSD rating would entail training in EFR, and passing exams largely in the same format as the current PADI divemaster exams for Physiology, Physics, Equipment, Decompression Theory. I'd also include a skills assessment of the core 20 skills to 'demonstration quality' as per the PADI DM. Lastly I'd keep a list of core 'electives' to maintain the link to existing MSD programmes, but would limit which elective/specialities qualify. Age limit would be 18.

Scuba Lord
I haven't thought of anything for this yet, but I just like the title so much it would have to feature in my new world. Maybe logging 2,000 dives plus an Ice Diver cert?

For Divemaster and up, I don't have any recent experience, so I won't comment on any changes that I would suggest, although it would be great to hear from others who do.

Ok... flame away.

Scuba Lord
I haven't thought of anything for this yet

You have to be able to walk on the water you dive in. Duh.

But if you could remould the structure of recreational diver training tomorrow to make it better fit what you feel the needs of the diving community are, how would you do it?

It may not fit my needs nor the needs of my buddies, but I think as a whole, on average, it fits the needs of "the diving community"
just fine as is (people aren't getting themselves killed in mass numbers).

Well, I'd like to see better control of descents and buoyancy on or near structure and silty conditions. However you do that. Maybe teach classes off the bottom from the get-go rather than kneeling.

But really, if I were 'Scuba God' for the day, I'd give everyone with a C-card a basic watermanship exam and reserve the right to pull their cards as I see fit. I just hope I'd pass my own test. :wink:

Scuba Lord
I haven't thought of anything for this yet, but I just like the title so much it would have to feature in my new world. Maybe logging 2,000 dives plus an Ice Diver cert?
I'd avoid anything as environment-specific as ice diving, because it places geographic limitations on the title ... and the vast majority of scuba divers at any level simply don't dive where there's ice. But I can see requiring a level of training that places heavy emphasis on dive planning, "master-level" physical skills and risk-analysis/mitigation. Any class that requires overhead protocols would do that ... whether the overhead consists of ice, rock, metal, or water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am scuba God, why do I have to settel for only one day?

There has been a lot of chest beating about the Master Scuba Diver certification lately (see here and here). Did I say lately? I meant perennially.

But if you could remould the structure of recreational diver training tomorrow to make it better fit what you feel the needs of the diving community are, how would you do it? I am sure the DIR guys will have plenty to say, as well as the Europeans who follow a different training structure.

Just to kick things off, here are my nascent thoughts on it:

Open Water Diver
I think the standard OWD course as taught by PADI and its variants does what it needs to do - gives people sufficient training that they can dive reasonably safely under supervision whilst on holiday. And that is what I would probably limit it to. I'd teach people tables (screw the wheel), but would probably make dive computers mandatory anyhow. But once certified you still have to dive under instructor/DM supervision until you gain enough experience.

Gas management is sorly missing from basic diver training and should be re-installed. Diver rescue, or at least "self rescue" should be included from the beganing like the NAUI program.

Sport Diver
I needed a new title ('Advanced' gets almost as many flames as MSD) so I shamelessly stole the BSAC name. Could also call it OWD II. I would inject into this course underwater navigation, understanding of nitrox and gas analysis, gas planning, and deeper diving. I would probably also throw in buddy breathing as mandatory, low visibility diving, lost buddy drills, kicking techniques. It would include a skills assessment involving some contrived bouyancy control challenge. There would be an exam. I'd put in a minimum requirement of 12 dives to start the course, and certification would enable a diver to rent equipment and dive alone.

I would include a 'waiver' style programme whereby divers could apply for the card or a variant with proof of (say) 25 logged dives (which would in my system would have been under the supervision of a DM or instructor, as above) similar to the NAUI 'experienced scuba diver'. But the waiver wouldn't allow you to progress with higher training - just certify you to rent gear and dive without DM supervision.

OWD II or Advanced Diver would be fine. It's not like your going from Snorkeler-to-Autonomous Diver, but rather building on the basics.

First Class Diver
This new rating would incorporate the old 'rescue diver' course (which I'd probably also make available as a separate specialty for those who wanted to do that alone). Would also include elements of dive leading and dive marshalling. I would probably also try to include an element of deeper diving and decompression training (I figure if nearly 60% of recreational divers really are doing it without tec training, it is time to bring the training down to them (as they do in Europe)). It would include full nitrox training. Age limit would be 16.

If you want to stard the First Class, Second Class Navy thing, you might as well stick to the whole list and start at Scuba Diver, Second Class Diver, First Class Diver, etc....

Why would you inject dive leader/dive professional skills in the Recreational Diver level of training? Advanced rescue skills are appropreate, but dive marshaling and leading? Might as well add Liability Insurance required at this level as well.

Elite Diver
Again, purely to get away from the MSD title, I have shameless stolen the IANTD title (which let's face it, sounds cooler). Obtaining the MSD rating would entail training in EFR, and passing exams largely in the same format as the current PADI divemaster exams for Physiology, Physics, Equipment, Decompression Theory. I'd also include a skills assessment of the core 20 skills to 'demonstration quality' as per the PADI DM. Lastly I'd keep a list of core 'electives' to maintain the link to existing MSD programmes, but would limit which elective/specialities qualify. Age limit would be 18.

Master Diver should be the penical of recreational scuba diver training, short of Technical Diving, but it should be expanded to include physical fitness like a swimming goal and watermanship skills besides 1) done mask 2) fall in water. Spacific skill sets and training should also be required such as a Deep Diving class, maybe a Deco class, Navigation with out assistance, Night Diving, basic knowldge of how a regulator works, demonstration of basic knowledge of how to disassemble and maintainence all of the gear that that diver owns, demonstrate the ability to read surf and sets for shore dives, basic water movement to include wave theory, currents, rip currents, eddy affects and surge. Also use of typical dive acident management like current CPR, first aid, use of oxygen administration equipment, how to use a bag-valve-mask.

Scuba Lord

For Divemaster and up, I don't have any recent experience, so I won't comment on any changes that I would suggest, although it would be great to hear from others who do.

Ok... flame away.

I just posted a big thing about this somewhere else so I'm not going to rehash all that when a couple of clicks on the reader's part will suffice but it put my tongue in my cheek again so -

When it comes down to it, what's wrong simply with Diver Level 1 and Diver level 2 and so on?

heck I used to play D&D and when my character reached "16th level warlock" I was invincible! Trolls and goblins were piling up at my feet. That is, of course, until I met a Death Knight, and my colleagues had to pay a whole stack of gold pieces for my resurrection by a Darklord Cleric. There were significant issues I had to deal with after that....

It's a name. What's important is the training behind it. I think these courses have existed long enough that we all know the content by now and if we don't, 30 seconds' clicking can find it.

I reckon I could put money on a bet that most scuba agencies simply wanted a name that was different from the other. Open Water Sport Diver Search and Rescue Diver Ocean Diver Dive Leader Dive Master Dive Con blah blah blah.

As I mentioned in my other post - I think MSD/MD is something for people to be proud of, as is Open Water, Sport Diver, Rescue Diver, Ocean Diver whatever... it represents a progression from one thing to another, a personal achievement, an escape from a job that pays you to sit at a desk and listen to the meaningless drivel of colleagues who are waiting for you to resign or, preferably, die, so they can have a better office with a nicer view.

It's a name, a measurement of rank, superiority, basic human nature, we all want to be better than the next person so we can attract better looking partners. There is a certain section of the population that will succumb to the idea that after passing their automobile driving test, they will be able to compete at the Indy 500. Most, like freshly baked divers, will appreciate their limitations and get some further training and experience beforehand.

And that's the key - WHAT is taught - not the name it is given. PADI comes in for a lot of criticism for the name of its Advanced Open Water course - until you realise that it is an advancement of the basic Open Water Class - not an advancement to the diving equivalent of Yoda. These names were put together over a beer mat in a pub somwhere, not with billions of dollars of corporate advertising contracts to determine the psychology behind a name.

We know how it is, and information is easily acquired. Let's put the name debate aside and concentrate on providing people with information as to what is taught, where the best teaching may be found, and what is most suitable for the people who ask.

Sincerely,

Crowley - 9th level dive instrutor and 16th level Warlock (retired)

:D

Back
Top Bottom