Ok, so those others were easy...try this!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This was taken yesterday off of Destin Florida, in about 70 ft of water.

I have been looking for things with bands on them to explain a picture I took several months ago... so at the end of the dive, I see a small (maybe 4 inches long).. banded "arm" sticking out from a small piece of coral... so I carefully reach down and pull it out...

First I thought worm of some kind, but when I pulled it out, it got very, very upset at me... no worm I have ever seen acted like that...so I put it down and took it's picture.

odd801.jpg

I could not see the head (way too small)... so what is it?

Not any eel I have ever seen.. almost has a head like a seahorse...

Anyone know what this is?

It's a pipefish - cousin of seahorses - but it will take someone better at marine biology than I am to tell the exact specie.

I love the little buggers, they're cute and not too shy - easy subjects for macro shots!

Well, I think you are correct... in general...thanks.

This guy was hiding, and wanted nothing but to get back into hiding..

Not sure if they come in the above colors, but just going thru the various species..

Micrognathus crinitus, or something close would seem to be the guy..

I have pictures of lots of Pipefish, none look and act like a small eel...did not know there were any like this in this area... interesting.

It looks like a pipe fish to me......a really ticked off pipe fish.:wink:

Ren, you would be correct, it did not like being dragged out into the open...thankfully it did not have teeth.. or rather teeth big enough to bite me. I have never seen one like this up here.

Not sure if they come in the above colors, but just going thru the various species..

I'm not sure the color would be a good indicator, they might adapt to their environment.

I'm not sure the color would be a good indicator, they might adapt to their environment.

Seems you are correct on that..as everything matches, just the color is way different... rather pretty color by the way..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom