OK to Bounce Dive to 220 Fsw as...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some DINO stories

2 dinosaurs talk:

Dinosaur A: Instructor, 5000+ dives, dived since early 60s, 65 years old, dives every week.
Dinosaur B: Instructor, 8000+ dives, dived since mid 50s, in his mid 70s, still does at least 2 dives a week all year long. He dives a double 10 L setup with an oldshool mistral single hose regulator.

DINO A to DINO B: This year when we're in the South of France I'm going to take it easy. You know I had heart surgery last year. With 3 bypasses I really need to take care. So no deep diving, ok?
DINO B to A: No prob. This year we'll take it easy. So no wrecks..?
DINO A: Don't be silly... we'll dive the wrecks of course... but we don't go deeper then 70 m.

DINO C: An oldschool French dive shop owner with a bad temper. Not the most pleasant guy to see.

After a wreck dive we did with our team when he was captaining the boat we were going back to shore when DINO C suddenly stopped. Keep the boat steady and look for my SMB, he tells his 1st mate, I've dropped a tank here some days ago that I need to fetch (of course not he was poaching red coral as we found out later). So he puts on his old school double 10 (held together with plastic tie-raps), puts on his 7mm and no buyancy compensator and drops in. After 30 min we see an SMB apear and after about 50 he comes up. He comes up the ladder and puts his tank down, his computer off and with his wetsuit still on goes downstairs holding a closed cylinder in his hand. I look casually at his computer. 83m.

I'm not trolling here... just telling some first hand dino stories that I've witnessed. They are pumping with misplaced bravado and testosterone. But I've got to hand it to them... they beat the odds... are alive and strong... and still doing their silly dives.

I'll stick to redundancy... a good plan, rock bottom, and a ppo2 S of 1.5... but I'll dive with these guys (at least DINO A and B) in a heartbeat... only much shallower.

If you going to bounce dive do it right, 330' with a steel 100 cuft

Decompression model: VPM - B

DIVE PLAN
Surface interval = 5 day 0 hr 0 min.
Elevation = 0ft
Conservatism = Nominal

Dec to 200ft (4) Air 50ft/min descent.
*Dec to 330ft (6) Air 60ft/min descent. <<< High pp
*Level 330ft 0:50 (7) Air 2.31 ppO2, 330ft ead <<< High pp
*Asc to 90ft (15) Air -30ft/min ascent. <<< High pp
*Stop at 90ft 1:00 (16) Air 0.78 ppO2, 90ft ead <<< CNS high
*Stop at 80ft 1:00 (17) Air 0.72 ppO2, 80ft ead <<< CNS high
*Stop at 70ft 2:00 (19) Air 0.65 ppO2, 70ft ead <<< CNS high
*Stop at 60ft 1:00 (20) Air 0.59 ppO2, 60ft ead <<< CNS high
*Stop at 50ft 2:00 (22) Air 0.53 ppO2, 50ft ead <<< CNS high
*Stop at 40ft 3:00 (25) Air 0.46 ppO2, 40ft ead <<< CNS high
*Stop at 30ft 3:00 (28) Air 0.40 ppO2, 30ft ead <<< CNS high
*Stop at 20ft 15:00 (43) Air 0.34 ppO2, 20ft ead <<< CNS high
*Surface (43) Air -30ft/min ascent. <<< CNS high

Off gassing starts at 140.7ft

OTU's this dive: 28
*CNS Total: 435.4% <<< CNS high

97.5 cu ft Air
97.5 cu ft TOTAL

DIVE PLAN COMPLETE

Go big or go home
This plan has positive margin (2.5 cuft of margin)

Nah, not a big enough margin for me *amongst other things* :wink:

One of the things that makes diving a safe sport/hobby to me is, in fact, the reliability of todays dive equipment. So far, (knock on wood) I have never had one single problem with any piece of dive equipment while on a dive. I do have my equipment serviced regularly. But like you said, it's how much risk is a person willing to take. I have no problem with risking everything will go right because in over 600 dives it has. Of course I realize the very next dive something could go wrong. But what are the chances that when/if something does go wrong, it will happen on that particular dive. To me, the chances are so remote that I have no problem doing a 140ft dive on a single tank of air.

In a way, aren't all buddy dives a sort of "trust me" dives? Aren't you trusting that your buddy will be there for you if you need him? Whether it's 50 - 60 ft. or 130 -140 ft., you're putting a certain amount of trust in your buddy to be able to bail you/anyone out if needed. I would suppose solo diving is the ultimate trust in yourself diving.

Blind reliance on equipment does not a safe diver make. Even if regularly serviced, things can and do go wrong. Thats why in tec diving (ie below 130 feet), you never plan on things going right, you plan on it going wrong, at the worst possible time. This is a concept drilled into all tec divers during training.

In that vein, Id like to share some of the problems Ive seen in the past year (about 500 or so dives), and imagine how even the slight ones could affect a bounce to 220.

computer failure. you do carry backup right? and planned the dive ahead of time? no? whoops....

inaccurate gauges. my last brand new one read 20 bar when it wasnt hooked up. hope you werent planning on using that last 20 bar you thought you had.

broken gauge. new gauge, got knocked about on the boat, the needle feel off and stuck to the gauge face, pointing to 3000 psi. diver only noticed when I asked for tank pressure half way thru the dive, and he still had 3000

the diver who vented his bc by pulling on the inflator (against my recommendation). the zip tie wasnt tight enough, and the hose came loose, but not until we were well into the dive, resulting in immediate and total loss of bouyancy.

pressure transmitter failure on a hoseless integrated computer. happens all the time. how much air did you have?

broken strap resulting in mask loss. should you squint, or chase your mask down the wall blind?

second stage diaphragm eaten through by a cockroach. this actually happened to me, what started out as a hardly noticable problem resulted in an unusable reg by the end of the dive. hope there are no roaches where you dive, they love silicone. of course you could get a hole or slit in there by other means, and it wont be noticeable unless you specifically look for it.

slit/hole in the mouthpiece. even a small means a mouthful of water instead of air.

free flow. has this ever happened to you? not once, in 600 dives? wonder how long that tank will last at 220. long enough to stop the problem? no prob tho, just shut down the post. oh wait, cant do that, only have one reg.

bad weight belt buckle/broken stiffener/buckle/sand clogged velcro on integrated weights. deco stops? real men dont need no stinkin deco stops

bad hose. easy to see, they blister at the crimped ends. unless you got a hose protector obscuring it. your tec DID check for that right? are you sure?

slightly warped mushroom valve on your second stage. if it doesnt seat correctly you are breathing water. just switch to your alternate, if youre not too narced....

my friend who was scraping his boat. he was using a scubapro mk25, beloved of tec divers everywhere. a TINY piece of shell got into the first stage slots, and jammed the spring. full tank, no air. got an environmentally sealed reg? good, read on...

another friend using an apeks ds-iv, another highly regarded reg, just serviced. it was not properly put together and blew apart when the tanks were pressurized. on the second dive of the day. after a 200 foot tec dive.

My favorite.... halfway thru a dive, my reg suddenly stopped giving air. ditto my alternate. full tank. ***?????? turns out the (rental) tank had so much aluminum oxide in it that it packed the filter on my first stage, blocking it completely. also the dip tup was not installed on the valve. this didnt happen until i turned upside down to check on my customers. good thing it was me, and not one of them....

I could go on and on. These are just a few of the problems Ive seen recently, there were many more. most were not serious, or caught early. Any could have been missed.

You say you dont encourage unsafe diving. By minimizing the hazards, either through ignorance or just plain not caring, you sending the message that this kind of dive is ok. Especially to newbie divers who might be impressed with your "advanced" rating or number of dives.

A lot of this kind of thing is covered in the rescue class (well my rescue class at least, and theres a whole section devoted to it in the PADI manual). A diver with your amount of dives should definitely take it. Since you are not too far, I would be happy to teach it to you.

Blind reliance on equipment does not a safe diver make. Even if regularly serviced, things can and do go wrong. Thats why in tec diving (ie below 130 feet), you never plan on things going right, you plan on it going wrong, at the worst possible time. This is a concept drilled into all tec divers during training.

In that vein, Id like to share some of the problems Ive seen in the past year (about 500 or so dives), and imagine how even the slight ones could affect a bounce to 220..

No doubt things can and do go wrong. But in over 600 dives, I've never once had it happen to me. Not even a free flow. So I don't consider my having faith in my equipment as "blind reliance". It's based on my diving history and the way I treat my gear.

You seem to have the idea that I have come on this thread and advocated doing a bounce dive to 220 ft. I've never even addressed it until now. My original post was about diving in the Blue Hole in Belize and the depth was no where near 220 ft.

You say you dont encourage unsafe diving. By minimizing the hazards, either through ignorance or just plain not caring, you sending the message that this kind of dive is ok. Especially to newbie divers who might be impressed with your "advanced" rating or number of dives.

Please go back through this thread and show me one time where I said it was OK to do a bounce dive to 220 ft. I did admit to doing one stupid dive to 233 ft one time.

I doubt seriously anyone is "impressed" by the number of dives I have done. They are probably way more impressed by your high dive count and all the training you have done. They may even look at you as some kind of "Scuba God".

I may have even been impressed until I saw where you opened up your post in a dramatic fashion talking about how Jacques Cousteau's son had died in a diving accident and how he wished he could have that dive back and didn't take the 60 seconds needed to check out your facts first.

A lot of this kind of thing is covered in the rescue class (well my rescue class at least, and theres a whole section devoted to it in the PADI manual). A diver with your amount of dives should definitely take it. Since you are not too far, I would be happy to teach it to you.

Thanks but no thanks. If I ever want to take the class, I know plenty of great instructors who don't have the condescending attitude you seem to have.

No doubt things can and do go wrong. But in over 600 dives, I've never once had it happen to me.

Only has to happen once at those depths my friend... :)

I doubt seriously anyone is "impressed" by the number of dives I have done. They are probably way more impressed by your high dive count and all the training you have done. They may even look at you as some kind of "Scuba God".

You know I hear people talk about number of dives all the time. Number of dives means NOTHING!!!!!!!!! I watched a guy at the lake last weekend jump in for 10 minutes, surface until his computer cleared and then go back down because he is trying to get his number up to do DM and Tec!!!!!

You know I hear people talk about number of dives all the time. Number of dives means NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

I could not agree with your more! Looking at a person's dive count tells you nothing about their skills in the water and how good of a diver they are. And a person's dive count on ScubaBoard means even less. Anyone can check any dive count they want on here.

No doubt things can and do go wrong. But in over 600 dives, I've never once had it happen to me. Not even a free flow. So I don't consider my having faith in my equipment as "blind reliance". It's based on my diving history and the way I treat my gear.
Yet in the past 100 Ive seen 1 inflator getting stuck on inflate and 1 o-ring blow up under water emptying half the tank in the very short time it took to turn around, donate a reg and see if the problem was fixable (which it was not).
Neither was on MY gear but that dont really help very much when Im the one nearby does it?.
Ive had a few other incidents as well in the past 100 or so dives, all of them not being me or my gear, but me being the one needing to handle it. **** happens and you want to leave room for it..

Yet in the past 100 Ive seen 1 inflator getting stuck on inflate and 1 o-ring blow up under water emptying half the tank in the very short time it took to turn around, donate a reg and see if the problem was fixable (which it was not).
Neither was on MY gear but that dont really help very much when Im the one nearby does it?.
Ive had a few other incidents as well in the past 100 or so dives, all of them not being me or my gear, but me being the one needing to handle it. **** happens and you want to leave room for it..

Exactly! That's why I keep my gear in tip top shape and have it serviced every year. That way I can help out when I'm needed.

Back
Top Bottom