"Old" air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. As long as you're under 6 months, it doesn't matter. Over 6 months, perhaps consider spending a few buck to refill before your next dive. But many report using air that's a year old with no ill effects.

For me, the limit would be 6 months before blowing that whopping $5 on a fill.

Not that I have EVER had a full tank sitting unused for more than 6 months. LOL at the concept (or cry!). ;-)

I just took my PSI class today. they said with a steel tank, oxidation could reduce the percentage of oxygen in your tank resulting in hypoxia. if its only been a couple months, it wouldnt matter...i think they did a test where they got the 02 percentage down to 2%. im not sure how long the test was.

Dan: now jared and I can legally fill your tanks :)

Last summer I bought a steel tank that has not been used since the late 1960's (well over 35 years). I had the air analyzed and it tested perfectly fine.

More than once I have used air that was several years old. If I am going to empty the tank for a VIP, I might as well breath it (or use it for regulator repair or something else useful). If it was filled with dry clean air to start with and doesn't leak out it is OK.

I just wonder who came up with that six month concept.

If I recall correctly someone in this message board did what looked like a reasonable calculation for the amount of oxygen consumed to produce lots of iron-oxide (rust) from a steel tank, and the results was that the O2 partial pressure (and therefore %) would not drop significantly (even in a very rusty tank).

Edit: The only reason I can think for not using very old air (more than a couple of years old), is because you may not know the source.

Back
Top Bottom