Old drysuit with oral inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have secured an old drysuit (in great condition) with an oral inflator in the chest. It's neoprene so I figure air to reduce squeeze won't be necesary. Do you think I can remove the oral inflator and seal up the hole and use the suit as a semi dry?

nkw5:
I have secured an old drysuit (in great condition) with an oral inflator in the chest. It's neoprene so I figure air to reduce squeeze won't be necesary. Do you think I can remove the oral inflator and seal up the hole and use the suit as a semi dry?

Have someone like ocean vendors in Brentwood put a modern inflator and exhaust valve in it. Or at least call them to talk about it. You will need to do something about the squeeze though.

Were you cold on those dives we did a few months ago? The water temp was unusually cold at that time.

nkw5:

I have a neoprene drysuit and squeeze can be an issue with neoprene.....

The voice of experience....

nkw5:

It will squeeze. Why don't you replace the inflator with a more modern one and use it as a drysuit?

R..

DivingCRNA:
I have a neoprene drysuit and squeeze can be an issue with neoprene.....

The voice of experience....

I had no idea. Good thing I asked you guys before jumping into the ocean!

dannobee:
Were you cold on those dives we did a few months ago? The water temp was unusually cold at that time.

Yeah, it was a cold winter! And yes, I was a little cold on those dives, but more so on the ride in than in the water. The surface intervals can be hard after 50-54 degree dives.

I have an old o"neil supersuit drysuit, with oral inflator. I use it for free diving in the Puget Sound, and since there is no other way to add air, except by mouth, I would prefer to have the option to add an oral inflator to a new drysuit. Few people free dive and snorkel in Cold water,

I so some solo diving, and the oral inflator can provide a backup to a failed inflator hose, even as a back-up BC. Although I doubt that is likely to happen, a lot of people swear by making everything redundant, just in case Murphy applies his law to your dive.

If it ain't broke...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom