Old Genesis HP120's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
They are made by Asahi and are bricks, check out the buoyancy characteristic to see if it works for you. Also note it uses a 7/8" valve

OK, cool, I appreciate it

Depends on what your diving is..... and your SAC. I have 2 singles of the same exact tank. I usually grab my HP100's before I grab the 120s. I'm 6 foot average build and the 120s are ok for me. I heard shorter people complain because the tank is a bit long. For me It does not bother me.

I used the single 120's a ton when I was doing 100 max depth like 50 minute run time NDL diving. When the 100's were a wee bit out of the rule of 1/3s.

I still keep my 120s and double them up for the rare event I go on deeper tech dives. It's like you have a cast iron boiler on your back. But I have seen 5'5 chicks carry them up ladders too so people make it work.

Just think about the diving you will be doing and that should answer your question.

As for the price...I say grab it. Steel scuba tanks hold their value pretty good and if they are taken care of can last forever. If the size does not bother you then jump on it.

I'm not too worried about the weight - I'm in pretty good shape and 40 lbs is not that heavy. I'm looking at it from the point of view that I'd rather carry an extra 10 lbs of tank than 10 lbs of lead, because I can't (or at least shouldn't :D ) give 10 lbs of lead to an OOA buddy, but he's going to really appreciate an extra 20 cu ft of air.

I'm not too worried about the weight - I'm in pretty good shape and 40 lbs is not that heavy. I'm looking at it from the point of view that I'd rather carry an extra 10 lbs of tank than 10 lbs of lead, because I can't (or at least shouldn't :D ) give 10 lbs of lead to an OOA buddy, but he's going to really appreciate an extra 20 cu ft of air.

An extra 20 cubes of air is always appreciated, but steel tanks, especially large ones, get rather tail heavy when they empty out. Just beware of that, as it may affect your trim. I know my LP95s do, as they are huge on m little 5'8, 120-lb frame and have quite an impact on my trim.

Peace,
Greg

They are made by Asahi and are bricks, check out the buoyancy characteristic to see if it works for you. Also note it uses a 7/8" valve
@Leadking: How do you know that the tank was made by Asahi? Some of the HP120 tanks were also made by PST, I think. I heard that you can distinguish between manufacturers by looking for the letters "SPUN" around the tank neck. If it says that, then it's an Asahi.

PST HP120 buoyancy characteristics don't look too different from the PST HP100 that I own. I really like my PST HP100.
Tech Diving Limited tank specs for the PST HP120 are:
Empty buoyancy -1.3 lbs.
Full buoyancy -10.3 lbs.
Empty weight 39.2 lbs.

I have no idea what the Asahi HP120 tank buoyancy specs are.

@dstrout: I think that the price for the tank is too high. I'd probably be willing to go as high as $150 (including shipping).

If you're looking for used tanks, keep an eye on the Craiglist board in your local area. At least then you won't be paying for shipping.
Another option is to make friends with a tech diver. :D They always have tons of tanks. Perhaps they'll let you borrow one for a while.

It just occured to me - how will thse big tanks work with an STA? My backplate doesn't have cam band slots :( Are they going to move around?

It just occured to me - how will thse big tanks work with an STA? My backplate doesn't have cam band slots :( Are they going to move around?

If you have the right STA - a standard cam band should be able to accommodate a variety of tank widths. On my Halcyon and Hammerhead STA I use a variety of tank diam. quite well. Also, the Halcyon comes with something called an Octo Grip cam band which has some vinyl on it which provides more grip.

Additionally, the original Sherwood Genesis HP tank made by Pressed Steel were pretty darn nice. Slim, and heavy. I've seen Asahi's...not too impressed.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom